Question

What’s an “Australia”?

4 Likes

Dunno. The internet told me it isn’t real.

2 Likes

Its this big, hot desert land where kangaroos roam the streets and ‘drop bears’ fall out of the trees onto your head!

1 Like

That’s rubbish.

Drop bears are only found on New Zealand

Sorry @Stephen, ‘thylarctos plummetus’ are actually Australian - and we’re not sharing with the Kiwis! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Australia has to exist. Otherwise my favorite living author wouldn’t exist, and I am NOT. HAVING. THAT.

1 Like

Who would that be?

That would be Kerry Greenwood, creator of Phryne Fisher ( the real Phryne, not the ridiculous caricature they turned her into for tv) and of Corinna Chapman, another most excellent series.

3 Likes

what if your favorite author is just a figment of your imagination. :wink:

1 Like

If my imagination were good enough to create those characters, I’d be thrilled! I wouldn’t have to wait for the next installments!

3 Likes

I’ve read some novels while I was asleep, including some that I started when I was awake. Generally they’re both less well written than the real one, and also they make it harder to enjoy the real one since - well, I don’t remember now, but let’s say “Pride and Prejudice” without Queen Victoria appearing :slight_smile: Although it does have Lady Catherine!

1 Like

Queen Victoria wouldn’t have been Queen in the 1812-1814 she would have been a princess instead at that time. She only became Queen June 20th, 1837. I think Prince George was King Regent at this time for his father George III whom was still alive at this time.

Aww I really liked the TV adaptation of Miss Fisher! From the interviews I’ve seen it seems the author likes her too. I’m so glad they adapted it just so I could appreciate that gorgeous wardrobe.

1 Like

I’m not sure what else Ms Greenwood would be likely to say. . .in public.

As for the clothes, they were nice, but I don’t think they lived up to the descriptions in the books. Phryne’s clothes were created by top French designers. I’m also told (and this I would not have known) that the styles are wrong. They fit too tightly, she would not have worn trousers as often as she does, etc. Ms Greenwood does far too much in-depth research to have not been aware of those things.

Out of curiosity, have you read many of the books?

Ok well she seemed pretty effusive in her praise to me. Of course the clothes are on a different budget in the show than in the books, I’m not too bothered by less than 100% historical accuracy in costuming. I’ve read a bit of the books and they were fun.

You mean that our penal colonies became a real country? I must look up what happened to those religious nutjobs we booted out on the Mayflower at some point then…

2 Likes

Since you like those books, there is another series you might enjoy. It’s called The High Society Lady Detective series, by Sara Rosett. It’s set in 1923, in England. The first is Murder at Archly Manor. The 7th is due to come out in January. Not quite as good as Phryne, for me, but the author is equally as meticulous about research, and tells a good story with believable characters.

2 Likes

Oh great, thanks for the recommendation! I’ll check it out!

Why is Australia ?

1 Like

Hi, MamaofMonsters! :raising_hand_man:

To answer your question - why not?

1 Like