Question

I was sitting here wondering why there doesn’t seem to be many stories posted about Australia.

I know we are upside-down compared to you ‘normal’ people up the top, and we do tend to look at things a bit oddly sometimes, some of us do swear a lot, many of us wear those funny bushmen’s hats, we often suffer from very high temperatures, we have some rather strange looking wildlife, most of our country is uninhabitable desert, and then there’s that rather weird looking Opera House in Sydney, our version of English takes a bit of getting used to,

Umm. I begin to see the problem . . . . . . . . . .

Raven

6 Likes

There’s 2013 stories from Ozland/Down Under from 2008-2021

1 Like

The internet told me that Australia doesn’t exist though!

2 Likes

I’m a bit concerned about that.
I don’t know what to say.
Perhaps I’m imagning it all, but there’s a lot of Australia to imagine, and I don’t think my imagination is that good.
Could it be that your internet is wrong?
Not being difficult or anything but it could be. Couldn’t it?
Perhaps I’m imagining Not Always Right and that doesn’t exist either.
Oh dear!
Who was it said that the world only exists in your own mind?
Perhaps s/he was right.
Perhaps you are all figments of my imagination and don’t really exist.
Oh dear, now I’m really worried!
Raven

3 Likes

Quit worrying or you’ll drive yourself stark raven mad!

5 Likes

There are stories from Australia, but not many of them are “about” Australia. They may be about Australians, but mostly doing things which sadly (or thankfully, or both) don’t distinguish the people involved from customers and shopkeepers in America or elsewhere. (So really we’ve only got NAR’s word for it :wink: )

1 Like

Thanks Stephen.
I really needed that! Made my day.
Perhaps I should change my username to Raven Mad?

We have quite a few ravens around here and they are endlessly fascinating. So much more intelligent than other birds. Some of the tricks I have seen them get up to would be too unbelievable to accept unless I had actually seen them happening.

Raven

3 Likes

It seems that people all over the world are becoming more and more alike. The differences that we used to see in people from different cultures seem to be disappearing. People are becoming standardised and much less interesting. I don’t know why that is.

I have Asperger’s Syndrome, which makes me a bit different from most people around me. I often get told I’m weird, and I always appreciate it as a compliment not an insult. Of course, that puts some people off talking to me, but I don’t care. I see that as their problem, not mine. I like being different.
Raven

1 Like

Despite what Hollywood likes to tell us, most of Australian life isn’t too different from other western civilisations. We do have our own culture, and some of that does differ from American culture… but for the most part, we’re pretty similar to other western countries.

1 Like

I find it rather sad to think that cultural differences may one day disappear. I may not like some of the differences, but I do believe that they are worth preserving. If all cultures are the same, life will be much less interesting. I’m all for preserving as much variety in people and cultures as we can.

I suppose I feel this way because of my training as an Anthropologist. If all cultures are the same my field of interest will become irrelevant. It would no longer have a function in helping us to understand cultures different from our own, if there aren’t any.

Raven

1 Like

I just want to say that I don’t think all cultures will become the same. Asian culture, for example, is quite strong and I don’t think it’d ever be taken over by western culture.

Within Australia itself, there are still indigenous Australians that maintain their cultural heritage. And I don’t think that’s going away any time soon.

The suburb I spent my last few years of high school in was rich in aboriginal culture. I’m not aboriginal myself, but it was still an awesome experience.

2 Likes

Oh well, Snowy, let’s hope you are right.
I’m just being my usual pessimistic self.
Raven

1 Like

You have too many things that can kill you there. People die before they can have bad experiences to post about. /s

I’m not being serious obviously. Hence the /s lol

1 Like

You have too many things that can kill you there.

We do… All of it caused by human stupidity…

Oh, you were joking about the animals? My bad.

2 Likes

Drop-bears…

Australian comedian Adam Hills is a foot shorter than his father. People ask him if a shark got the other one. (No. They’re disappointed…)

2 Likes

My GF refuses to ever go on vacation to Australia because of the potentially lethal animals, even though it seems such a nice and beautiful country :cry:
That it’s have a world away from the Netherlands doesn’t help as well though…

The reality of Australia is that said lethal animals are actually mostly a myth. Yes, Australia does have some of the most deadly animals in the world, but the majority of them are not in civilised areas. If your GF were to leave the cities and go into the outback, she would find them… But around the cities and surrounding areas, the worst you will find is humans… And maybe magpies in the spring.

Truth be told, I have never seen a snake in my life and I’ve live here for well over 3 decades now. I’ve never seen a lethal spider. Lots of annoying ones, but no lethal ones. And since I live in cities, I live away from other dangerous animals.

Your risk of shark attack is quite low. The ones you hear on the news are the very rare exception. in 2020, there were 8 shark bites - two fatal - in Australia… out of millions of beach goers every summer. Sharks are generally easy to avoid, as our government acts quickly to close beaches where a shark is spotted, and we have an early warning system in place. The government is also trying various methods, including a barrier, to keep sharks away from popular beaches.

Australia is probably one of the safest countries in the world you can visit.

I really hope you can convince your GF to come visit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Of course we have to consider survivorship bias. :slight_smile:

Lethal or not, I’ve seen those huge dinner plate spiders, and omg. One time I was watching ridiculousness (funny videos) and one of those gigantic spiders are on the wall and they try to catch it with a strainer, and it jumps. I was on my couch in my living room and I jumped and screamed. But then again, I have an irrational fear of spiders… although something bigger than my face may not be that “irrational” lol it may not kill me but I’m pretty sure I think it will. I have a joke anytime I see a spider at my house, that I’m gonna “burn it down” and lord have mercy if I saw something that big I would most definitely burn it down. Or die of a heart attack, one of the two for sure lol.

1 Like

I have Ophidiophobia, So I can definitely understand your archnophobia. But as I said… they just… The only spiders I ever see are tiny ones… and even then it’s rare. I’ve never seen a snake (thank the stars), I do know there’s snakes in the area, but I never thankfully never seen one.

To put my phobia in perspective… I was in a discord server where we had an animal channel… and one of the members that loved to share snake photos had to use the spoiler function and warn me whenever they posted a snake photo, as even a photo of a snake would cause a panic attack.

But as I said, I have never seen one… Not in 3 decades of living in Australia. And I’ve never seen a spider bigger than my finger nail either.

2 Likes