Police release conditions in Ontario, Canada

I didn’t know which section to put this in so please move it mods if you want to the right section.

Due to one of today’s story there was talk about racism in the comments by someone. The comments made me remember what I read in today’s Toronto Star newspaper about police release conditions in Ontario.

(if you need help reading it see if you can access outline.com to read it)

and I thought some stuff was pretty dumb. For instance youth in foster care can be set an condition to “obey the rules of the household” but yet that could led to the workers calling 911 for something like the kid “not doing the dishes”. Or another youth release condition is that they don’t engaged with anyone “with a criminal record or justice system involvement” which means they loose their support network.

The youth aren’t the only one with stupid bail release conditions. Sometimes people are banned from places they need to get like healthcare.

One of the two people in the article-said she lived near a homeless encampleent and the police’s original bail conditions for both people, was that they "couldn’t be within a certian feet of encampement. And this made the woman worried “Would I bee breaching bail just by being home when the homeless people are doing stuff in the neighbourhood?”

The excessive conditions reminds me of what happened with my Dad and the company he worked for. It was a big company operating across the UK, and lots of the staff, my dad included, were members of a union.

The Union voted to go on strike over pay, but dad didn’t agree with it, so he (and a fair few others) chose not to strike.

The company’s way of thanking them was to hand them a piece of paper that they had to sign, saying that they would not strike in future. Dad chose not to sign it, as whilst he disagreed with this strike, that wasn’t to say there wouldn’t be a time in the future where he would want to strike.

So he walked out and didn’t return for several months, once the strike ended. He didn’t join the picket lines; he just got on with redecorating the house!

3 Likes

It’s classic police overreach, based on the wrongheaded idea that the police’s job is to keep “those people” under control. The courts might overrule any given case, but the courts aren’t going to go down to the station and supervise the police… and when the police tell people “sign this or you stay in jail until we have time for you”, most of them will knuckle under – because even if they have the legal knowledge to realize the cops are out of line, they likely have jobs or other commitments that are at risk.

1 Like

you’re comment makes me remember about the G20 in (provincial capital) back in 2010. Let me see if I can find the blog post I made about it!