Photography

Greetings from the National Marine Aquarium!

4 Likes

Can you see me?

Tasty fish!

3 Likes

If anyone is curious the tasty fish is a complete pollock!

1 Like

Took me a while to spot it!

Which one? There are two…

1 Like

The bottom one. Before I spotted its eyes, I wondered if it was an octopus, because I could make out the shapes of both fish. So I wondered if I were seeing the body and then the tentacles of an octopus.

Sproglet was running too fast to let me take a picture of the octopus…

1 Like

A while back I posted an Olympic-themed mural that has been in Coventry for some years.

I passed by that wall today and saw it’s been painted over. Shame, but the new one is pretty decent.

It looks like it’s not quite done yet, so i might pop back in a few weeks

2 Likes

Finally able to get out of town!

I gave this an oversaturated postcard look.

3 Likes

That’s lovely! Where are you?

1 Like

I was in Banff. That’s Vermilion Lakes and Mt. Rundle. First overnight trip away from home since 2019.

1 Like

I grew up with my mum taunting me for being too pale (she had a sunbed addiction). The years I spent living on a both naturally made me tanned, and since we got Leo, he’s winning the price of the whitest legs in the family.

Randomly found this pic in my phone, missing the boat life and the tanned legs. I’m back to my pale ol’ self now

5 Likes

My fossil shark tooth collection. I’ve only got a garbage camera from around 10 years ago (a Canon ELPH 135), so I don’t get to take very many pretty pictures. Well, at least not ones without noise issues.

Info on the specimens depicted hidden below (for sanity and topical reasons).

Summary

From top to bottom:

• The bulk of my collection.
  • Galeocerdo mayumbensis and Physogaleus contortus, an extinct tiger shark and extinct ground shark once considered part of the tiger shark genus (Galeocerdo). It’s generally agreed that Physogaleus is a requiem shark, but it likely ate a diet that mostly consisted of fish.
  • Paleocarcharodon orientalis. Once considered by many paleontologists to be the ancestor to Otodus megalodon (I’ll get to that weird genus later), now thought by everyone to be an evolutionary dead end.
  • Otodus obliquus. The first of a long line of “species” that would terminate in megalodon. Has been considered by the vast majority of scientists to be such since at least the 80’s, with a few folks hanging onto the old school thought until very recently. (Species in quotation marks, as the changes in tooth dentition and size occur so gradually it could be seen as one single species slowly adapting over time). The mirror in the background shows two additional fossils, both likely either Cretalamna appendiculataOtodus’ immediate ancestor–or juvenile Otodus obliquus themselves; it’s impossible to tell without measuring the thickness of the teeth, as the two species are otherwise only distinguishable by size.
  • Squalicorax pristodontus, aka a “crow shark.” Distant relative of the great white and megalodon, lived alongside non-avian dinosaurs. One of the few extinct sharks known from more than just teeth!
  • “Transitional great whites” and a polished juvenile Otodus megalodon tooth on a necklace. Top row: two Cosmopolitodus planus teeth. Far left middle row: Lower front Carcharodon hubbelli tooth, a species often misidentified as Carcharomodus escheri (another evolutionary dead end and a very rare genus from Russia) and basically the “missing link” between Cosmopolitodus hastalis and the modern great white. Near left middle row: lower front Cosmopolitodus hastalis tooth. Dead center: the juvenile megalodon on a chain. Right middle row: Cosmopolitodus hastalis broad form, the form that would become Carcharodon hubbelli. Bottom row: two “narrow form” Cosmopolitodus hastalis. This is the earlier of the two forms.

Edit: included details on the teeth in the mirror and updated the “Isurus planus” comment, as apparently they finally got around to reassigning it to the genus Cosmopolitodus last year.

4 Likes

I saw this from a distance last week.

When i first saw it, i thought someone had displayed some helium balloons. But then i noticed they weren’t moving at all. It then dawned on me that this was a painted mural!

I didn’t have time to stop last week, so i made time today.

Here’s the dedication.

And in case you’re still not 100% these aren’t real balloons…

5 Likes

Holiday photos!

This is my Happy Rock.

This is a hedgehog who lives outside my aunty’s house.

This was going to be an awesome picture of a human sundial. Alas, the moment I took my phone out of my pocket was the moment the sun decided it was time to hide behind a ton of clouds. So you’ll just have to take my word for it that my shadow was just past four when I took this stood in the right spot.

This is a tree that grew from a conker my grandad planted.

These are some of the pirate decorations that we put up.

2 Likes

Here are two pics. My husband took the pic of the busy bee. I took the pic of the clouds.

3 Likes

Believe it or not, this photo is not heavily altered. It’s altered some (the camera wasn’t great at picking up the hues of that morning, so I did some tweaking to make it more accurate), but the sky really was that weird color, and it really made the world look like that for about an hour. Of course, a storm happened during that hour…

3 Likes

Ah, the real life Mexico filter :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Took these photos in February 2020, the Canaries was hit by the worst Calima° in 75 years. We had the worst air quality on the globe, and you could only go out wearing a face mask. It lasted a few days

° Calima is south-easterly winds on the Canary Islands, bringing sand and dust from the Sahara destert. This Calima swept over the entire Atlantic ocean and caused pretty sunsets in the Caribbean

2 Likes