Order cancelled, still delivered, can't pay

This isn’t worth submitting as a full story, and to be honest, I’m not even sure where the problem is… More corporate policy than worker error, I’d say.

I placed an online grocery delivery order with one of Australia’s largest supermarkets (Team Red), and realised the morning of the delivery (After cutoff) that the payment information on the order was wrong (My fault). The order had not yet been shopped, so they hadn’t attempted to charge the card… and I called customer care and explained the situation to them.

Can’t make changes after cut off. I had to admit defeat and I knew the order would be cancelled if the card couldn’t be charged, and sure enough around midday, I got the email telling me that the order was cancelled. Midafternoon, the order was delivered. When questioned, the driver just said to call customer care.

I spent the entire afternoon calling customer care, and the store who filled the order (to their credit, they did call me). Customer care told me that because the order had been cancelled, the system didn’t give them the option to let me pay.

Eventually the lady told me they’d get the store to investigate how it was delivered without payment, and then they’d let me know. It’s been nearly a week. I just want to pay for the groceries I received. -.-

As I said, not worth a full submission, but I thank you for listening to my ramble just the same.

5 Likes

It may be worth chasing them up about it, send them an email or something saying that if they don’t get back to you within 7 days, you’ll consider the delivery a gift.

Or something like that. A long as you have it in writing.

Because someone might try to throw you under the bus for their mistake of filling out your order without payment, they might claim fraud, or theft, or something, just to cover their own [donkey].

Cover yours first.

7 Likes

Finally got a reply from their customer service team. Based on the fact I made this post 18 days ago, that’s scary how long it took:

Dear [my name],

Thank you for contacting us regarding your recent Coles order.

I am writing to you in regards to your query about your cancelled order - once an order is cancelled it cannot be reinstated. It is entirely the store’s error that they have delivered a cancelled order. Unfortunately we cannot take payment for that order, but we certainly appreciate the sentiment.

In the rare cases this happens, the customer is entitled to keep the order as we advise we cannot take it back due to health and safety concerns. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to call us on [phone].

Once again [my name], my sincere apologies for being unable to meet our goal and provide you with a convenient service.

Yours Sincerely

[their name]

5 Likes