Obscure jingles you still sing

There is something about commercial jingles, or theme songs for a children’s TV show, or a one-hit-wonder song, or anything that enters your brain in childhood… and it never leaves!! Even as an adult decades later you catch yourself humming it as you wash the dishes.

What are some obscure or funny old songs that get stuck in your head?

Right now I am mentally jamming to the kangaroo song from National Geographic’s Really Wild Animals series, with the talking Earth globe. Used to get these on VHS and now I guess it’s in my brain forever!
Kangaroo song starts at 9:40

1 Like

There are a few that just pop into my head from time to time. Pizza 73 jingle comes by sometimes and some others. Theme songs come more often one being John Acorn Nature Nut - 1996 - TV Series Intro - Promo - YouTube

1 Like

I’d like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony.
I’d like to buy the world a Coke
And keep it company.

Later The New Seekers changed the third line to say I’d like to hold it in my arms and made a hit record of it.

We’ve only just begun to live
White lace and promises
A kiss for luck and we’re on our way.

That was a big hit for The Carpenters, but it started out as a commercial for a bank.

And of course,

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onion on a sesame seed bun.

I’ve got tons of this stuff in my head. Now if I could just remember what I had planned to fix for dinner. . .

6 Likes

I’m still waiting for the time when it will be useful to be able to recite the Pokémon rap.

We Didn’t Start the Fire at least taught me some history. I have yet to find a use for “Ponyta Vaporeon Poliwrath Butterfree”.

4 Likes

My mother taught my brother and I a song about a cannibal king. Though if you google it, it is not the song my mother taught us. I had to sing it out loud in order to type it.

Oh, the cannibal king
With the big nose ring
Made love to the hula hula
And every night by the pale moon light
Across the lake he came
He hugged and kissed
The pretty little miss
Under the bamboo tree
And every night by the pale moon light
It sounded like this to me

Arump, *kiss *kiss
Arump, *kiss *kiss
Arump, adie, adie, a
Arump *kiss *kiss
Arump *kiss *kiss
Arump, adie, adie, a

*faster
If you’ll be m-i-n-e mine
I’ll be t-h-i-n-e thine
I’ll l-o-v-e love you
All the t-i-m-e time
Just like an l-a-r-k lark
Out in the p-a-r-k park
I’ll k-i-s-s kiss you
In the d-a-r-k
You are the b-e-s-t best
Out of the r-e-s-t rest
And I’ll l-o-v-e love you
All the t-i-m-e time.

Match in a gas tank. Boom boom.

2 Likes

What’s the story wishbone/what a big imagination for such a little pup/kind of seems familiar like a story from a book/

3 Likes

Not a jingle, but I do remember the telephone number for Saturday Swap Shop on BBC1, when I was a kid in the seventies. I never even rang the number, yet I know it was Oh one Eight double one eight oh five five

1 Like

Oh man if I ever need my car windshields repaired in 2002 I can ♫CALL GIANT GLASS♪ How dare they put that song in my head and then go out of business!

Keiko’s song reminds me of that genre of music you sang on buses during field trips or in the back of cars with siblings specifically to annoy the adults, like 99 bottles of beer on the wall, and Henry the Eighth.

2 Likes

So kiss a little longer
Hold close a little longer
Say goodbye a little longer
Longer with Big Red.

That Big Red freshness lasts right through it
Your fresh breath goes on and on
While you chew it.

3 Likes

Like I said, my mother taught it to me as a little kid. I have since questioned her why she taught us a song about a cannibal making love when we were little. She just told me it was a fun song. She’d sing it with us.

1 Like

0200-234 234 RIIIIINGO!

I remember this from being a kid, it was a singing kangaroo and if you called that number you could choose 1 out of 3 doors for it to go through. 1 door had a price, the other two didn’t.

This, and the subsequent follow up.

Never left my head and to this day I hear it echoing in the corners of my mind every now and again…

1 Like

Reading Riiingo, somehow got banana phone song stuck in my head

For better living now,
And better value later,
The Standard( buh-bum-ba-ba-bum) Improvement Company!

Got one of those too. 1-800 -Emipre! Carpets.

Break me off a piece of that kit kat bar

One I’ve absently had runnign through my head sometimes: Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?.. she stole all the beans from Lima… she’ll take you on a slow boat to China, (Not all of it by far, possibly in the wrong order, but the parts I remember)
Was a sort of kid’s detective/geography show. Found a vid of the full song, though I think this recording is after I stopped watching.
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (1991 FULL VERSION) - YouTube

1 Like

Where🎵in the world🎵is🎵CARMEN SANDIEGO

Noooooo now it’s gonna be stuck in my head all day!

1 Like

sorry! :rofl:

And @RR8
Carmen Sandiego actually started out as a series of kids’ computer games. You had to track where she / her henchmen went through clues given by bystanders. They were designed to teach geography - and later history - but they were a lot of fun!
They’re still available free online if you look around. (I must dig out the links again! :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I can’t listen to “Funiculi, Funicula” without my brain playing the bloody Grape Escape jingle.

“Bag Man, Bag Man, everybody’s talking 'bout Bag Man” - a small local handbag and luggage store with a stupid name and a lame jingle that has not existed for about 20 years. But I can’t shake it.

"Dollar forty-nine day, Woodwards
“Dollar forty-nine day, Tuesday!”
Woodwards was a major department store in Western Canada for 101 years but closed in 1993. The jingle is famous for the whistling, which I recently heard borrowed for a completely different Canadian jingle: