No Updates so far today

There hasn’t been any new stories posted for quite a while today. I’m wondering if this has anything to do with Storm Eunice?

Whatever the reason, I hope everyone out there is safe, both NAR staff and all the commentariat too!

7 Likes

I agree. I have some stupid collegues (amongst others, me) that are staying at the office till close, but most have left/are leaving now. Everyone stay safe!

4 Likes

All safe down here in the Southwest England. A wall has blown over opposite my workplace though and there are reports from SWMBO of falling rooftiles but not sure if our house or not.

3 Likes

Everything’s okay here in western Germany, but I know the north west is getting hit hard, they’re expecting the worst storm since they started measuring weather

Let’s hope it doesn’t turn out that bad and that our beloved editors are safe and sound

5 Likes

that’s too bad! But at least 1)It gives me more time on my online jobs and 2)I can catch up a bit more on the unfiltered stories (I’m in August 2020 at the moment)

1 Like

Fun fact: The previous depression was named Ylenia and the one coming today was named Zeynep here in Germany. Funny how the names differ that much!

3 Likes

I thought they had European names since last year. I guess Germany just wants to be different like that.
In the Netherlands it’s also Eunice.

And: I made it home. Not exactly a fun drive, but it had to be done.

5 Likes

Zeynep is one of those names that i look at and try and solve as if it’s an anagram. Just like Spiro T Agnew and Alan Yentob

3 Likes

I recently read that the big scary ones, like official hurricanes, get a common European names. This one is “only” a storm with hurricane force gusts. There are several naming systems for these ones, Scandinavia has their own, Germany share names with some neighbours like Poland, there’s a a UK system, a French one and so on… So much for European unity :face_with_hand_over_mouth: In Germany you can buy the next storm’s name!

It is slowly getting windier here now. At least it’s not raining anymore

2 Likes

I had to look up Storm Eunice.

Its my lazy day off, so no new stories has given me incentive to do laundry and clean the smaller fish tank I’m giving to my friend’s kiddo.

Its also sunny and cold here, so I didn’t even think about weather being a cause!

I do hope the winds didn’t damage beyond the point of repairs, I saw one website said a record wind of 122 (mph? Kph?) was recorded!

Also, my cat has been thoroughly jealous of my new fish tank I’d been setting up, I sat down 10 minutes ago and he hopped up and curled up.

3 Likes

I just looked it up. There are several groups in Europe.
The Netherlands joined the westgroup, with UK and Ireland.
In the northgroup there is Denmark, Sweden and Norway.
Southwest: Belgium, Luxembourg, Frank, Spain and Portugal.
Central: Italy, Slovenia, Kroatia, Nord Macedonia, Montenegro and Malta.
Southeast: Greece, Cyprus, Israel.

Each has their own naming system, but when a storm moves from one group to another, it keeps it’s name.

Germany is not in a group, they have a commercial system hence buying a name.

6 Likes

I was thinking there were less stories than usual.

I’ve been inside working this afternoon so I think I missed the most of the storm. Just need to remember to keep an eye on the fence before letting the dogs outside.

2 Likes

Got home safely after work. Most of the wind had died down. SWMBO traded places with me and went down to the local shop for a few things and came back with news of 50p pasties! Dinner was sorted, delicious and wrapped in pastry many times over.

7 Likes

Nothing too bad here, but I’m living in southwestern Germany, so I didn’t expect more.
My brother had to take a detour on his way home. He lives in the north and there were trees on the road. A friend nearly got stuck because there are no trains running.

And I’ve seen two Oopsies from the UK. We’ll see what happens during the night.

3 Likes

I was wondering about the lack of updates. My part of the USA had some pretty significant winds yesterday.

1 Like

I was wondering if i was just in a weird cached site that wasn’t clearing on ny phone. We had our power knocked out by the wind last night here in Maryland. The weather has been mad everywhere lately.

3 Likes

Not sure where NAR is based, but Canada has some big goings on right now. Namely the occupation of Ottawa.

1 Like

And the toddlers occupying Canada’s capital have been going on now three weekends and up until today NAR been publishing despite of it. The Editors seem to be mix of U.S. and UK. Since we do have all of those stories which have British terms and they somehow change it to American terms confusing everyone

So it’s more likely its the huge storm then Toddlers of Canada

2 Likes

The loudmouth minority. >.>

2 Likes

Oh, hey, a new post is up! Editors, we hope you and yours are all well! :slight_smile:

9 Likes