No staff entrance/exit beside main door/can't lock door even when closed?

I’m have a curious two parter question. It’s because of the “pregant woman and Fast Food” story from yesterday

Some people are wondering on Facebook why the two employees didn’t lock the door. But when I pointed out that there might not be an alterative entrance/exit or they might not be allowed too until they leave because of fire hazard

People were asking why there aren’t two ways for people to get in (one for customers, one for Employees) and how that the fire

So my questions are:

1. How many entrances/exits does a place of employment (restaurant/store) need?
  2. If there’s not an alterative exit can they lock the door or is that sometimes not allowed?

How do those questions relate to the story?

1. What law are you referring to that required “staff entrance/exit”? I am aware of laws that require a specific number of entrances/exits, but not any that require an entrance/exit specifically for staff.

2. Many places that are open to the public have “one way” doors, that can be locked to prevent anyone from opening it from the outside, but still allow people to exit. If the building does not have that type of door, they may very well have to keep one or more doors unlocked to fire/other safety reasons. Otherwise, it’s usually because someone forgot to lock it, or just is running behind on locking it.

1 Like

it’s just some people on FB comments of this story are saying that it’s against the law to not have 2 doors for a place of employment. And some people wondered why the manager didn’t lock the door.

But I did prove the one person incorrect that the number of doors depending’s on the size of the building/and number of employees.

But that still leaves the “why didn’t they lock the door” question

What I meant is how many entrances/exit does a place of employment (ie: restaurant/store) need?

For the 2nd one… I meant if there’s only one door for both employees and customers to use can they lock it or maybe there’s a rule for that particular business that the door can’t be locked until all employees are out?

The store had just closed a few seconds before and OP was about to lock the door. They were right there and nearly got hit by the customer on the way in.

4 Likes

I didn’t see that part when I read it multiple times yesterday. Thanks for pointing that out

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.