National Novel Writing month is coming up anyone going to be writing something?

Nope 90s kid. But I have heard of the night court because of videos

I wrote a 30k fic series last November for an unrelated challenge, a 14k fic last December for an event, and 11k and 30k fics both for the same event earlier this year. I’m also signing up to be part of a fandom zine and possibly a Christmas fic exchange. The full 50k is really all I have left to achieve lol.

I got Scrivener a few years ago! It’s my usual writing software - though I don’t at all like the V3 update.

1 Like

I’m still learning Scrivener; some days I feel like it’s one step forward, two steps back. I just downloaded v3 yesterday so I have no idea what it’s like. On the plus side, if they’ve changed anything dramatic, I won’t have to unlearn much.

I didn’t like it because they completely changed the visuals; it’s now all sleek and modern, which I hate. I could get used to feature changes, but one of the reasons I like Scrivener over other software is the appearance. I ended up reverting to the old one.

1 Like

Update: I may not be able to participate because I got stabbed in the hand.

3 Likes

Yowch! Hope it heals okay.

2 Likes

I wrote some fanfiction years and years ago. It would be fun to write something, I think. But I don’t really have an idea. Might try my choose your own adventure game.

Another but: I’ll be on vacation. So … don’t know of I’ll have the time to write much.

1 Like

Probably won’t write much for my novel (I have a website to host some of my fiction, but the “novel” is currently undergoing major rewrites), but there’s a short story I’ve been planning for some time that I’ll probably work on.

Given the nature of my writing, it would probably work better for October, but eh, it’s been a rough few years for me, and this month has been rougher than usual.

Gist of the short story: a man walks into a murder scene while the crime is underway, gets left in the hills near Dublin in a patch of old-growth plant life. Something’s weird about the plant though, and it doesn’t help that nothing but that plant seems to live there–even the insects avoid it.

If time and health allow, the next story would probably be an adaptation of a rather surreal dream of mine. That one would definitely not be for the faint of heart.

1 Like

How could I describe Mickey or other Disney characters? I have a way of describing snow white “hair as black as ebony, skin as white as snow”

and how do you describe a court room?

testing

You’re really good at research. Do some research about what courtrooms look like. And describe Mickey the way he looks. Or use your imagination which is what writing is about.

2 Likes

Here’s a funny thing that I learned by reading professional novels: Sometimes, you don’t need to describe stuff! Most people have a general idea of who Mickey Mouse is and what he looks like. Most people have a general idea (if only from TV) of what a courtroom is like. So all you need to do is provide a few details:

“The courtroom spectators looked at the judge as she spoke from her bench. Then every eye turned to Mickey Mouse, in the witness box, for his response.”

You don’t need to talk about the room’s wood panelling, or the judge’s robes, or what Mickey was wearing, unless it helps to tell the story.

2 Likes

Yeah but in order to get good numbers you need to have a lot of words to get up to like more then 467 words. I want to get at least 30,000 words in

And I have to think of questions which don’t have answers in them for my
criminal court cases
Classic age:
Snow White vs Evil Queen
Pinnicho vs. Strombi/Coachman
Royal Family (Cinderella/Prince Charming) vs. Lady Tremaine
Peter Pan/Lost Boys/Darling family vs. Captian Hook
Faries vs. Malficent
Raddcliffes, Pongo and Perdita and 99 puppies vs. Cruella Deville
Mogli/Jungle animals vs. Shere Khan

Dark age
Edgar:
Duchess, her (former) kitties, Thomas O’malley, and the Alley cats vs Edgar
Robin Hood/Merry Man/People of Nottingham vs Prince John/Sheriff of Nottingham

Former child Penny (teenager/adult now), and the mice vs Madame Medusa
the Widow and Todd vs Amos Slade/Chief
(former) child Jenny/ Fagin/dogs and cat vs. Skyes

Renaissance Era:
Ariel/Prince Eric/King Trition vs Urusla
Belle/Prince Henri (my name for Human!Beast, Adam isn’t considered cannon) vs Gaston
Aladdin/Jasmine/Sultan vs Jafar
Simba/Nala/Sarabi vs Scar
Quasi/Esmerlda, her follow outcasts/Phoebus vs. Claude Frollo
Hercules/Megra/Omplyians vs Hades
Pochantas/John Smith/Pochants’ Father vs. Governor Ratcliffe
Mulan Far (Fa, Mulan)/Shang Li (Li, Shang)i/The Emperor vs. Shan Yu
Tarzan/Jane/Jane’s father/The Gorillas vs. Clayton

New Era:
Tiana/Naveen/Charlotte(?)/Lawrence(?) vs Dr. Facilier/Shadowman
Rapunzel and Eugene vs. Mother Gothel
Elsa and Anna vs. Prince Hans

So 25 cases to make up questions about. Mom suggested I look up I think it was called “LA Law”

(and yes I do have crimes for the criminals in court)

I also need to figure out a way for how Pete the criminals’ lawyer could try to undermine Mickey, who is the good guys’ lawyer

this is Pete if you don’t know who he is:

I know one of the questions both Pete and Mickey will have to ask for Snow (Mickey) Evil Queen (Pete) is “what is your relationship with (other person?)” according to the research I have done

Yeah but in order to get good numbers you need to have a lot of words to get up to like more then 467 words. I want to get at least 30,000 words in

What you’re describing is padding, and it’s bad writing practice. Get your words in with content rather than descriptive fluff. Unless you absolutely NEED to describe something to get a point across, descriptions should be minimal–and even then, you don’t want to go into lavish detail. The reader’s mind should–and will–fill in any blanks you leave.

I decided I would give it a go whether I hit 50k or not. It’s a Danganronpa (murder mystery series) fanfic, and I tried to start off with a nice simple scene where everyone introduces themselves to each other.

They’ve been given very little description, though with fanfic it’s kinda expected that you don’t have to since fans will know the characters already. But the kids were freaking out a fair bit (understandable considering the situation they’re in) and kept wanting to shout at each other, so I only managed to get a third of them introduced in just over 1k words.

I don’t expect the other two thirds to be any more willing to name themselves. And I’ve just realised I probably need to describe my protag more because I’ve got headcanons that I shouldnt expect anyone else to know.

(I’m rambling, sorry, just a little excited with actually giving this a go)

and without padding or describing stuff how am I suppose to get more then 600 words or even less important 50,000 words without having to describe something? So the more words I use, the more words I type-I can get rid of the padding later but for now, I need it.

Anyway does anyone have ideas for how Pete could try to undermine Mickey? I think with this first case- (Snow White and the dwarves vs. Evil Queen) that he will try to make Snow White an unreliable victim. Any idea of how to do that?

600 words is easy to reach. You can easily reach that in just two and a half pages. The average short story is only a few thousand words, after all.

Keep in mind that when writing, a word is considered five characters and a space–if your word processor is set up properly, there should be 60 potential characters per line and 24 - 25 lines per page, which should come out to 288 - 300 words per page; this is how you determine word count (to make it more consistent, double space your document, disable widow and child control and use 12 point monospace font. Courier New is common.) Your title page should have the title about halfway down the page, followed by your name; if this is a short story (about 2,000 words), then you’ll be counting the entire page here as part of your word count.

Remember, descriptions are fine, but should be brief and limited to when necessary. If you can’t reach your word count without adding in unnecessary descriptions and/or other types of padding, then reconsider your story. Regardless, you should have a good idea of where your story is going before you start writing. Most pros do this. Exceptions include Stephen King, who is notorious for having lackluster endings to his stories (a result of not having an idea of how to end them in advance).

1 Like

Remember that this is supposed to be a first draft. You can leave stuff out and put it in during editing if you don’t know how to write it now. You can also ramble a bunch of descriptive stuff and remove it later if it’s too much.

1 Like

I know writing comedy for stand-up is not the same as writing stories, but the controlled use of words works for both.

The comedian Jimmy Carr might not be to everyone’s taste, but his writing technique of maximum punch to minimum number of words is phenomenal. Like this joke (blurred, because it is a Jimmy Carr joke, and highly likely to offend)

Throwing acid is wrong, in some people’s eyes.

And fhen there’s that famous story “For sale: baby shoes; never worn”

Think of your writing as a meal, and you want it to be delicious. You need to balance the ingredients, as you would want to balance the story, the descriptions, and the exposition.

If you get the balance right, the story (or meal) will be amazing.

But if you think it needs padding, it’ll be like adding loads and loads of lettuce on top of your dish. Sure, there might be a delicious meal under all that, but will they want to eat it if they’ve got to get through the lettuce padding first?

The worst part of writing for me is descriptions. I’m really bad at it, barely describe anything, and when I do it’s short and stilted. I write 600 words in under an hour if I’m not fighting writer’s block. Obviously you can write slower, but the point is that you don’t need a bunch of descriptive stuff to pad your word count.
My writing consists of lots of dialogue and actions (moving, emoting, etc), rather than descriptions of characters or environments. Like you, I’m writing with existing characters, so I rarely bother to describe anything about them unless it’s important or the POV character’s attention is drawn to it, because my readers already know what they look like.

2 Likes