Minefield Quiz - Game 7

Q1 Which musician, born 24th August 1948, was the first western musician to be officially invited to perform in the People’s Republic of China, which resulted in a series of concerts in October and November 1981?

Q2 The pie chart was first known to be used by William Playfair in 1801, but it wasn’t until the style was changed to make it more readable that it became more widely used. Who made these changes?

Q3 Known as the Father of the Modern Olympics, Pierre de Coubertin won a gold medal in the 1912 Summer Olympics (under a pseudonym). What was the gold medal for?

Q4 Which actor, who won an Academy Award for best actor for his role in Leaving Las Vegas, is such a huge fan of Superman that he named his son Jor-El (after Superman’s father)?

Q5 The 1974 Eurovision Song Contest, held in the United Kingdom, was arguably what started Abba’s rise to international fame when they represented Sweden with the song Waterloo. Portugal’s entry, performed by Paulo de Carvalho “E depois do adeus” (“And After the Farewell”), started something too, when it was broadcast on the 24th April 1974. What was it?

Q6 In the UK Top 20 charts for the week 17th to 23rd June 1955, Stranger in Paradise held three spots. That might sound impressive, but another song did even better… what song was that?

Q7 The 1989 film The Woman in Black starred Adrian Rawlins as Arthur. In the 2012 version, Arthur was played by Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe. Adrian Rawlins also appeared in the Harry Potter film series; which part did he play?

Q8 Which Austrian born actress developed frequency hopping technology to prevent US submarine torpedoes from being jammed?

Q9 Which US president, born in 1831 and took office in 1881, developed a new proof of the Pythagorean theorem, which he published in 1876?

Q10 What group can be made from the following: The UK television channel that first broadcast Taskmaster; the person who voiced Lando Calrissian in the LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special; the Dutch geologist who discovered an abundance of copper ore in a mountain that he called Ertsberg; the Captain, created by Jeremy Lloyd, whose band of friends include Timid Toad, Reckless Rat, Artful Owl and Catty Cat; The co-presenter who, along with Sam Fox, helped to make the 1989 Brit Awards a memorable event, albeit for all the wrong reasons; the nickname of Trevor Richard Moore, the South African professional golfer.

Quick summary of rules:

Two of the above questions are secretly mined; I hope you like guessing! Submit as many or as few questions (in any order) as you dare by private message to me. Please number your answers. I will mark the answers in the order you send them to me.

If you answer a question that has a mine, it will blow up, regardless of whether or not your answer is right.

If you don’t set off a mine, you will be invited to submit more answers, or lock in your score. If you answer all the non-mine questions correctly, the mines are defused, and you will be invited to answer the mine questions. These mines will not explode, even if you answer them incorrectly.

WARNING: You must wait for me to tell you the mines are defused before attempting them, or they WILL explode. Seriously, you need to wait. If you submit all your answers in one go, your score is going to be really low.

Scoring: all questions are worth one point each. For every question you attempt, your multiplier will increase by one. E.g. attempt five questions, and your multiplier is five. Your score is the number of questions you get right multiplied by the multiplier. If a mine blows up, your multiplier drops to one.

You only get one attempt at each question. Also, watch out for the automatic numbering system; I strongly recommend you preface your answers with the letter A: e.g. A1, A5, A7 etc. If you realise you’ve got it wrong, edit your message to me. Do not rely on me telling you the numbering is wrong, as I’m not doing that (sorry!). I will always wait at least one hour before marking, so you have a bit of time. Once I’ve “liked” your post, it means I’ve started marking, so please don’t change anything after that point.

All the questions have been thoroughly checked, but if you do see an error, please let me know by private message only. If there is a mistake, I will inform everyone.

A full breakdown of the rules, plus a sample game, may be found here. There is also a trial game for you to go at (if you wish) before you play for real, which may be found here.

Day 2 Summary

Had a bit of activity over the weekend, but the arena is all quiet now.

football-stadium-liga-profesional-de-fútbol-de-la-afa

As for those who entered the arena? Well, they’ve left now…

QYJYmie

Are you brave enough to give it a try?

batman-superhero

1 Like

Day 3 Summary

I have a few active players who have entered the arena

monty-python-holy-grail

…and a few players who have left

run-away

The big question is: how many left on their own terms?

OyBs

And how many left reluctantly?

monty-python-king-arthur

Still plenty of time to enter!

1 Like

Day 4 summary

Looking around the field of play, there is no activity. And this will probably explain why…

giphy_1_5

There’s still time for new players… come on in!

Game 7 Results

@AthenaCat 100 points (defused all mines)

@RebeccaBlue 8 points (discovered active mine)

@Kharza 3 points (discovered active mine)

@Sillsallad 3 points (discovered active mine)

@Celoptra 2 points (discovered active mine)

@Miss_Edith 2 points (discovered active mine)

@AlienToasterRepairs 1 point (discovered active mine)

Congratulations to AthenaCat!

1 Like

Answers

A1 Jean-Michel Jarre (Not Wham!; their tour was in 1985)

A2 Florence Nightingale

A3 Gold medal for literature (for his poem Ode to Sport; he wrote it under the pseudonym of Georges Hohrod and M. Eschbach)

A4 Nicolas Cage

A5 The song’s broadcast was used to start a revolution in Portugal. This revolution, later known as the Carnation Revolution, saw the overthrow of the Estado Novo regime and the bringing of democracy to Portugal. The revolution was over in only a few hours.

A6 Unchained Melody.

A7 James Potter, Harry’s father.

A8 Hedy Lamarr (born Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler). Incidentally, the principles of the technology she developed is incorporated in Bluetooth and GPS technology.

A9 James A. Garfield

A10 DAVE, Billy DEE Williams, Jean Jaques DOZY, BEAKY, MICK Fleetwood and TITCH: The words that are all in capital letters make up the music group Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich.

Questions 4 and 10 were mined.

Now, a few of you are probably wondering about the mistakes. I had a lot of private messages (and thank you for sending them in private) all pointing out that Nic Cage’s son is Kal-El, not Jor-El.

You might also have noticed in question 10, that one of Captain Beaky’s compatriots was Batty Bat, not Catty Cat. Not only that, the name was Tich, not Titch!

There was a reason for this: these questions were factually inaccurate, and as such they were MINES. Had you answered the eight other questions correctly and defused the bombs, you would have received REVISED questions, which were:

Revised Question 4: Which actor, who won an Academy Award for best actor for his role in Leaving Las Vegas, is such a huge fan of Superman that he named his son Kal-El (after Superman’s Kryptonian name)?

Revised Question 10 What group can be made from the following: The UK television channel that first broadcast Taskmaster; the person who voiced Lando Calrissian in the LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special; the Dutch geologist who discovered an abundance of copper ore in a mountain that he called Ertsberg; the Captain, created by Jeremy Lloyd, whose band of friends include Timid Toad, Reckless Rat, Artful Owl and Batty Bat; The co-presenter who, along with Sam Fox, helped to make the 1989 Brit Awards a memorable event, albeit for all the wrong reasons; the nickname of Trevor Richard Moore, the South African professional golfer (but you will need to drop the second T from the nickname)

It was for this round that I insisted on the rule of waiting for my say-so before attempting the mine questions - I needed to make sure you had the properly worded questions.

2 Likes

There is a TV show called Taskmaster, where the contestants are given silly tasks. Every now and then there is an especially difficult one, and the contestants somehow manage to muddle through.

And then, when they are watching how well (or badly) they did, they will be told that there was a hidden secret… something that was there all along that would have allowed them to carry out the task so much easier.

I wanted to do that: have a hidden Easter egg to reward the person who says to themselves “Oh! That’s odd!” and then looks a little deeper. I didn’t tell anyone about any of them, because I didn’t want this game to be called “Hunt the Clues”

You’ll notice from the scores for this game that AthenaCat spotted the secret (well done!) for this game.

2 Likes

Confession Time

And this is the point that many of you will either be kicking yourself or grabbing pitchforks and forming a mob outside my house. Not just the current players of this game but all the past players too: @grondmaster, @CJR, @Lola, @Valiant_Potato, @Lola and @Weatherby2378

You see…

Every single quiz contained clues to where the mines were hidden.

Please don’t hate me!

1 Like

I’ve posted a compilation of all the games, to give you a chance to see if you can find the clues. I’ll see about posting the final game after all the clues have been found, so probably in a few days.

But will there be a clue in that one? Now that would be telling…

1 Like

It doesn’t surprise me that there’s a subtle clue in the slightest. If it helps I tapped out when the questions looked like serious research was needed. When it looked like I needed to sit down and do more than a quick search on phone that became work rather than fun.

1 Like

Fair enough.

The earlier ones were straightforward general knowledge; it was later on that i tried to write the questions so people would get a mini wow moment. Unfortunately, those types of questions do tend to be a bit more wordy. And by definition, a surprising fact is not something you’re likely to immediately know so a search will be needed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.