Meal prep and freezer meal recipes

So I’m starting a thread about freezer meals. Let’s make a post for each recipe that way they don’t get too long. Feel free to add your favorite.

1 Like

This is one of my favorite recipes because it’s so easy. And you can put anything you want into them.

Ingredients

9 eggs
Your favorite fillings

Instructions:

Preheat your oven to 350
Line regular sized muffin tin with muffin liners

Mix up your eggs. I use my food processor to make it easy. You can add milk but I don’t.

Pour the eggs evenly into your liners

Add your chosen ingredients.

Bake them for around 20 minutes or until cooked through.

If you want to freeze these let them cool and then flash freeze them in your freezer by putting them uncovered on a plate in your freezer. Then transfer them into freezer bags and use as needed.

Here are some of my favorite types:

Ham and cheese
Lox and cream cheese
Veggie and cheese
Sausage and cheese.

3 Likes

Yogurt Muffins

This Recipe is the one I use. But I’ve adapted it using different fruits with different flavors of yogurt. They’re great for a snack or for breakfast. A favorite is using light and fit peach yogurt with frozen peaches. Yum!

3 Likes

Shepard’s Pie (more accurately called Rancher’s Pie, apparently)
[I have high anxiety and never know when I’m going to have the energy to cook, so pretty much everything I make is frozen or from a can. Obviously you can substitute fresh or whatever in here. This recipe also originally had mashed potatoes instead of the diced potatoes, but my daughter doesn’t like mashed potatoes! This goes further anyway.)

Cook 1 pound of ground beef, drain. (Optional, add one can of rinsed kidney beans to further stretch the food), add in brown gravy (I also add worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder).

Cook 1 bag of frozen diced potatoes (I use Potatoes O’Brien).

Cook 2 bags of steamable peas and carrots (or add whatever veggies you want!)

Mix all of these along with shredded cheese in a big bowl. Divvy up into smaller freezer safe dishes (I got a bunch of 2 cup pyrex dishes whenever they’d go on sale at the grocery store for awhile until I have a bunch of them.)

To eat, move from freezer to fridge the night before you want to eat it. Microwave. This makes I think 15-16 meals.

1 Like

Chicken croquettes

This Recipe is one of our favorites at our house. I bake them in the oven so they are healthier rather than frying them. I’ve put carrot into them as well. I just use jarred gravy. But they’re yummy and freeze well.

2 Likes

How do you cook these once frozen?
Sounds good

1 Like

Which ones?

The first recipe; I replied to that comment but you might’ve not seen it

When I make them I just warm them up in the microwave. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok here’s another recipe. It’s not a freezer meal per day but it’s a huge hit with my friends. The thing I love about this is you can make it lower calorie with sugar free pudding and light whipped topping. I use the sugar free cheesecake pudding mix myself and serve it with pizzelles.

Pumpkin Fluff Dip

• 1 (16 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1 (5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Directions

• Step 1

In a large bowl, mix together instant vanilla pudding mix, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Fold in the thawed frozen whipped topping. Chill in the refrigerator until serving.

1 Like

Shepard’s Pie (more accurately called Rancher’s Pie, apparently)

I’ve heard it’s called shepherd’s pie when it’s made with lamb and cottage pie when made with beef; I suspect it’s at least partly regional!

I make a friend’s version of that dish, in which you basically make beef stew in a slow cooker and can then either enjoy it as stew, or top it with potatoes in one large or several individual casserole dishes and either freeze or bake immediately. It takes time in the slow cooker, but the total effort involved is pretty low (unlike yours, you have to chop onions, but everything except potatoes just gets dumped in the slow cooker to stew together unattended), and the flavor is fantastic.

Here’s that in case you’re ever up for giving it a try:

Stew

• 2 lb stew beef, cubed
  • 16–32 oz frozen mixed vegetables [we do 32oz of corn, peas, carrots, and green beans]
  • 2 yellow onions, chopped
  • 1 cup beef broth, plus enough bouillon to make another 6 cups broth [we like Better than Bouillon paste]
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tbsp Montreal Steak seasoning
  1. Add everything to slow cooker and gently stir just enough to mix everything together.
  2. Cook on high heat for 4 hours.
  3. Change cooking temperature to low and cook for an additional 4-8 hours.

Enjoy as-is or top with…

Mashed Potatoes
(or use your favorite mix or frozen potatoes of choice)

• 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 stick salted butter, softened or melted
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
  • Optional: 1/4 cup chives (diced if fresh)
  1. Add potatoes to a pot of water and bring to a boil over high heat.
  2. Once boiling, lower cooking temperature to medium-high and cook for 12-15 minutes, until you can easily poke a fork through the potatoes.
  3. Drain the water off, and return the pot and potatoes to the stove top.
  4. Add the milk, butter, and seasonings to the pot and use a potato masher to mash everything together until smooth and well mixed.

and assemble into…

Cottage Pie

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Use a slotted spoon or ladle to scoop the stew into a casserole dish [9x13" works, or two 8x8"s, or individual ones, etc.]. The stew should ideally be around 2 inches deep; be careful not to add so much broth that it drowns the meat and vegetables.
  3. Gently scoop the mashed potatoes onto the stew in the casserole dish[es] and smooth it out until it covers everything evenly. If you want to be fancy, use a fork to gently score a ripple pattern into the top of the potatoes and sprinkle some black pepper over it all.

At this point, you can freeze it, or…

1. Bake the casserole dish(es) uncovered for 15–20 minutes until the stew is bubbling [may be less for individual dishes; if starting from frozen, perhaps 30–60 min depending on your casserole size].
  2. Switch the oven over to broil for 2–5 minutes until the mashed potatoes are lightly browned (and any peaks a bit browner).
2 Likes

Yum! This looks good.

Here’s a side dish for your freezer:

Roasted Potatoes

Ingredients: Potatoes, spice blend (or salt & pepper), cooking oil

This recipe scales easily, but I usually cook 5 lbs (2.25 kg) of potatoes at once.

Fill a pot with enough water to cover the potatoes. Put it on to boil. While it is coming to a boil, peel the potatoes and cut into wedges or chunks of a roughly uniform size. Once each potato is prepped, toss it in the water so it doesn’t brown from the air. All your potatoes should be prepped and in the pot before the water boils.

Once the water comes to a boil, let the potatoes par-cook for 3 minutes. Right away, carefully pour off the boiling water, using the pot lid to keep the potatoes in the pot. (If you let the spuds cook through instead of parcooking, it’s not a disaster, they will just be a bit mushier.) Once the water has been drained, drizzle the potatoes with oil, and sprinkle liberally with salt and fresh-ground pepper, or a dried spice blend like Mrs Dash, Old Bay, steak spice, Italian seasoning, etc. Put the lid on the pot and shake vigorously to roughen the outsides of the potatoes. Add more oil, spices, and repeat the shaking if necessary to give a good coating of spice.

Spread on cookie sheets, cover, and freeze. Once frozen, you can repackage in freezer bags (and get your cookie sheets back). Or you can cook immediately on a cookie sheet in a 350°F oven for 30 min. Turn over after half the cooking time has gone by. If cooking from frozen, cook at 350°F for about 50 -60 minutes.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.