Let's Get Silly

Yes but I’m neither short or long sighted. I wear tinted spectacles for computer work to avoid the light triggering a migraine.

Who is the most famous person you’ve met and what were they like in person?

I once met Colonel James Irwin the astronaut. He was nice from what I remember. He came to my elementary school.

Which famous person would you like to sit down and have a drink of your choice (alcoholic or not) with and why?

Jesus, no need to wait for service!

What has been the most “Outdoorsy” thing that you have ever done?

3 Likes

Considering that there is no way this can be done indoors… fly an F4 Phantom fighter jet. That is, the pilot allowed me to take control whilst we were flying at altitude, somewhere between London and Yeovil.

Did you, or do you still belong to a youth organisation?

1 Like

I did Scouts and was part of a church youth group.

Would you mind telling us the story of how and why you were in control of a fighter jet please? :+1:

What is your favourite type of cloud?

2 Likes

This one:

It’s not a short story, so I’ll write it up this evening. In case I forget, could you please send me a message to remind me?

Favourite fruit?

Edited to add: the story is written up here

1 Like

For baking with, peaches. I make mean peach muffins. For eating, watermelon.

If you could go back to any year in the past, with no limits, which one would it be and why?

On the proviso that I can return I would go to WW2 Britain. I am always looking to improve my skills at cooking from scratch amongst other things and a wartime economy would definitely help with that. Living off rations sounds difficult but intriguing.

Do you believe in a higher power?

1 Like

I married her. In the grander scheme of things though, I am an agnostic atheist. I believe in the possibility of a god or gods but I am not convinced they exist as there is no evidence to suggest that they are out there. Similarly I believe in the possibility of an afterlife but in the absence of proof I’m not conviced (although I don’t believe that there must be a god to have an afterlife and vice versa). I once described it as I have hope rather than faith.

Whats your idea of a perfect date?

1 Like

Nice drinks, nice dinner, casual drinks, home. (For instance Cocktail Bar → Steakhouse → Pub → Home.) A whole day date would start with a greasy spoon breakfast or brunch followed by an activity then lunch if not too late before following the formula above. Personally though it’s not about what you do but who you’re with. Unfortunately SWMBO no longer has the liver endurance that she used to…

What are your Desert Island Discs?

Tricky question. This might change, but as it stands…

This Is Me - Greatest Showman OST
Fate’s Wide Wheel - Scott Bakula
I Choose You - Pokemon: I Choose You OST
Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven
I’m Going Slightly Mad - Queen
Tarantino’s New Star - North And South
For Good - Wicked Original Cast Recording
The Lone Dalek - Murray Gold

Luxury item - Imiko the fox plushie, because she goes everywhere with me.

Book - The Writer’s Tale: The Final Chapter by Russell T Davies and Benjamin Cook. It’s really long, and it always fascinates me.

EDIT: My “keep above all” track is This Is Me. It’s my favourite song, because it’s basically saying “You don’t like me because you think I’m different, well, (expletive) you!”

What colour is your carpet?

Don’t have a carpet because of dust allergies.

Do you like musical theater, and if so which show is your favorite?

I do, and it’s either Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat or Phantom of the Opera, I like them both a lot.

Have you ever been to a different continent than where you currently live?

If you consider great britain a different continent than mainland Europe, then yes. Otherwise, no :slight_smile:

How many countries have you been in in your entire life?

France (Paris France, with a side trip to Euro Disney), UK, in 2011 (London, Winsdor, Stonehenge, and which ever UK university Lewis Carrol worked at), in 2013- Greece- Atthen, Santroni, Crete, Rhodes Lesbos, two places in Turkey as well - Epshesu, and istanbul. 2016- Italy (Venice, Firenze, and a couple of other places) and then one stop in another part of France (Toluon), and then got off the ship in Barcelona, Spain. in 2017- China, in 2018-Ireland, and in 2019- Germany. And U.S. when I was a child.

what’s your favourite board game?

Don’t know how much this counts as a complete board game but Gloomhaven. I play this online with friends.

Can you do a cartwheel?

1 Like

No.

What book are you reading at the moment, or if you aren’t reading one, what was the last one you finished?

The Three Body Problem

What is your favourite quote from a book or movie?

Again, this changes depending on my mood, but at the moment, it’s “Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect” - Luna Lovegood, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

What’s your phone’s wallpaper?

1 Like

Lock screen is a flower. Opened phone is my boyfriend in a miner’s hat and me in the same hat and a miner’s jacket. We were in a museum and goofing around.

Do you sleep on your back, side, or stomach? Why that position?