Last Keyboard Shortcut

Ctrl+Shift+V. It’s a paste function, like Ctrl+V. The difference is that Ctrl+V often keeps the formatting of the original document (perfectly fine when you’re copying and pasting within the same document), but Ctrl+Shift+V strips away all formatting, rendering it in the same formatting that the target document has.

At least, that’s what it’s supposed to do, and does in Google Docs. So it’s pretty useful there. In LibreOffice, it brings up a menu asking if I want to keep the formatting or strip it away. LibreOffice uses Ctrl+Shift+Alt+V for unformatted text (which I can’t do single-handedly) and I use Ctrl+Shift+V all the time, so I never remember to use the alt one. :unamused:

3 Likes

I use Linux though! It’s different sometimes. :yum:

1 Like

That’s handy to know! In Autocad LT I use Ctrl Shift C to copy geometry, then click on a point to select an anchor point for the geometry.

When i then ctrl v to paste, the anchor point is where my mouse is, which makes positioning simple. If i use ctrl shift v, it still pastes it, but now the geometry is a block; that is, if i click on one part of it, all of it is selected.

I do frequently need to paste text without formatting, so the ctrl shift v tip is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Windows + P, which lets you choose how you want to use multiple screens.

As the designated ‘Hey, you know a lot about computers, right?’ guy in my department, it’s something I have to help a lot of people with, since every time you sit at a different desk, you have to set this again.

@Stephen : Your F2 in Excel, good to know. I’m gonna try to remember that! Did you know you can also reach that by doubleclicking the cell?

1 Like

I did; there are times when it is better to use the keyboard shortcut, and others when to double click. I guess it’s all down to what sort of edits I’m doing, and whether or not I’m holding the mouse.

1 Like

Agreeed, that’s why I’m going to try and remember the F2 as well.

1 Like

Win + PrtScr for screenshots. I do all kinds of oddball research for my hobby (historical fanfiction). When I find good stuff, there is no guarantee that I will be able to find it again, or that it will be there when I want it. So I keep folders of screenshots for various research topics.

1 Like

So that automatically saves the screenshot rather than just putting it in the clipboard?

1 Like

Yup. They all get saved to the same folder: Pictures > Screenshots
Each file is assigned a sequential number as a filename, just like with a digital camera or a phone. I just rename the files to something more descriptive (Solicitors1898Guide) and move them to the appropriate folder (Estate Agent History).