Language Discussion

Lär du dig svenska? :smiley:

I got interested in learning Spanish because of the band Mago de Oz :smiley: (and German because of Rammstein, it took me ages to re-train my brain that “Zehn” follows “Neun” and not “Aus!”)

1 Like

I did for a while, yes. It should be enough to get by even though I never really tried.
But I did catch a wrong translation on a billboard in the naturhistoriska riksmuseet. :smile:

I don’t do swedish lessons right now, I’ll start another course for my next interrail trip. But after that …

I’m on Duo too. I’m learning Korean (level 22), Welsh (level 5?), and refreshing my French.
French is going well. Welsh is ok, when I have the time for it. Korean, though…
Korean vocab is ok, tenses are a bit of a nightmare, but the grammer, oh gods, the grammer makes my brain bleed! Particles suck :confounded:

1 Like

I know a Petite bit of French (French in Ontario is suppose to go from Gr. 4-Gr.9 but I got exempt after Year 6). I learned some Spanish from Sesame Street (Si, Adios, leche), and I’m pretty good in ASL. I’m learning Hangul (Korean).

Got an ASL question. Do you know of any signs where someone starts at the left shoulder and then does a sort of karate chop down toward their right hip? Kind of diagonal across the torso with the hand flat and fingers all the way out.

I know one where you make a “K” and it’s “king/queen/prince/princess”.

Most of my ASL is a bastardized version of ASL with a Maryland accent or Ohio accent and signed English.

That… is actually hilariously fitting. Thanks.

(I’m trying to name a character in a sign language. Not ASL exactly, but the character is fluent in it and borrowed a lot of words)

my experience with ASL signs for royatly is that for Queen it’s Q and down the “sash” but because both Prince and Princess start with “P” it means you have to use boy or girl sign and then do P+ sash

If this is a fantasy language the culture might be different, but it’s good to keep in mind that in real life you usually only get a sign name given to you by deaf people; so whatever deaf person is in that character’s life that may have given them the name might be influenced by what they think of the person or how they see them

She is mute. Not sure if there’s a particular protocol for that in Deaf culture.

I did say that it was basdardized. My current use is for an adult in a health care setting.

Been learning german a bit online, pretty simple if you’re already fluent in english but some words can be a pain to pronounce.

4 Likes

Started with Finnish on Duo, I now know how to say “Is the Saami a shaman?”, “You are a wizard” and “Is the Swedish cat a viking?” but not yes/no.

Those who created the first lessions must have been drunk :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

When I was first starting on Norwegian, one of the very early words they taught was elephant, so there were some sentences related to that.

“Hver bygda har en elefant.” (Every village has an elephant)
“Trenger du fem elefanter?” (Do you have five elephants?)

I didn’t realize elephants were so common in Norway.

Also, I found the sentence “my bear drinks beer” in three different courses.

3 Likes

The famous Norwegian village elephant

1 Like

Don’t get me started on Welshman Owen and his pannas (parsnips)!

Mind you, the German course has a whole section on asparagus.

2 Likes

my italian course has given me sentences like ‘My shoes are electric’ and ‘Our gods are dead’

1 Like

Yes and apparently Swansea is a great place for a dragon to move to when it retires…

2 Likes

Yiddish course has sentences like, “My house has four guitars and no beds.”

Hungarian has kindergarten teachers who fly up to the chimney and sing.

2 Likes

I’ll have a look around next year, when I’ll (hopefully) be there.

I went to Ikea to try their plantbullar yesterday. It was the first time since I started to learn some swedish words.

Good: I can now understand and pronounce the food items there.

Bad: The other people can’t.

1 Like