It's the apocalypse and all of us are the survivors. What skills you bringing to the table?

I can shoot a riffle at least. And I’m a pretty good shot if I have a good riffle with a scope on it. Like Annie Oakley good

2 Likes

I can sail though! We could loot a boat big enough and we’d go get the rest!

Let’s steal one with a water maker and solar power.

4 Likes

What kind of apocalypse? I have no survival skills at all, and I guess my computer skills would not be that useful*, but I also speak 3 languages aside from English, so I could be a translator if we run into other groups speaking one of those.
Also, I’m a rather quick learner so I could learn from the rest of us and put my newfound skills to use as needed.

*then again, if it’s like in the Fallout games, a high Computers skill might be useful.

4 Likes

I can shoot a bow. Badly. At close range. Make that very close range.

1 Like

I wish I could shot a bow.

1 Like

Me too. LOL.

Of course, it is a basic recurve bow with no sights, which I shoot with fingers (most archery now is done with a trigger release gadget), but I enjoy the challenge. It’s more about getting outside and relaxing.

1 Like

granted I used to know how to use Dad’s cross bow when I was younger but that was only for the back of the (what do you call it) sliding? door to the family room

1 Like

Pocket door? Barn door? Sliding door?

1 Like

its not a barn door we don’t live in the country. And it’s not a pocket door whatever that is.

It’s a sliding door because its slides into one of the side of the door frame and you can move it a bit to close it for reasons. Like the door to the backhall and family room also has a simliar door which I sometimes close when making supper so I can hear the news on TV on Fridays

1 Like

I bring a body built for endurance and manual labour. I can also brew, cook, have a keen sense of direction and have quite the analytical mind. I am good at repairs, whether done properly or improvised. I am also knowledgeable on survival skills in general and am not squeamish. Should we need to butcher a cute animal or one of our number for survival then let’s just get on with it!

@Sillsallad Have you sailed across the Atlantic before?

3 Likes

I can knit. It’d take a while to do something like a sweater or a skirt, but I can do a basic hat without a pattern in about a day. I’ve also made my own elbow-length gloves as well (though I messed up on the fingers) and a sleep mask. So as long as someone can spin yarn, I can keep everyone clothed (provided everyone is willing to wear skirts because I don’t know how to do pants).

I know how to make cheese. Only successfully made mozzarella and ricotta so far (my attempt at feta somehow melted in the fridge), but that’s all you really need for pizza.

I’ve kept a yeast culture alive for at least a few months, so I can make rising bread.

I can befriend stray cats. Useful if pests invade the food stores.

Other than that, I have basic gardening skills, above average cooking skills, and writing skills (I guess I could make stories to keep everyone entertained? Nobody likes the stuff I’ve posted on the web, though). If we have power, I also have a water distiller and know how to dechlorinate water.

3 Likes

wouldn’t we need cows or goats in order to make cheese?

Is it just me or are we virtually all above-average cooks? Befriending animals could also feature on my list.

2 Likes

It depends on the type of apocalypse we’re enduring. There could very easily be milk producing creatures around.

1 Like

Technically, we’d only need a mammal, since all mammals produce milk. And you can make cheese out of any kind of milk. Sheep milk is the next most popular for cheese in the West, but there’s also moose cheese and yak cheese. Slightly squicky, but: it’s also possible to make cheese out of human breastmilk, though that’s probably not the best use of breastmilk. So we have options for cheese.

Goats would be extremely useful. They produce wool and milk, and they’re also very easy to keep alive since they’ll eat anything. Sheep produce more wool than goats, but they also have more delicate stomachs.

2 Likes

You can also make vegan cheese by blitzing nuts together with a bit of water and flavour with herbs and spices. Use a food processor (or pestle and mortar for an unpowered society) and enjoy. One hopes.

1 Like

The quarantine left us with way too much time on our hands.

5 Likes

I would die without proper access to medication/medical assistance pretty quickly. But if for some reason we hole up in a hospital or pharmacy, I can cook and sew and I can start a fire.

2 Likes

this is what will get me through. I love learning new things, ill take tips from anyone who has any survival skills who is willing to teach me. Do you know how to hunt? teach me! Do you know how to build a shelter? teach me! Do you know how to start a fire? teach me! Do you know how to find edible plants? teach me! Do you know first aid? teach me!

3 Likes

Ah, a Jack (or Jill) of all trades. Those are handy!

1 Like