Is this deadly story more of a NAR or a NAW?

I’ve been reading the comments for this story - and they have been fascinating.

Is the OP in the wrong for trying to upsell, or is the customer in the wrong for not just saying “no, thank you” at the beginning?

What do you think?

Im going to go with neither.

Customer is trying to get a pushy salesman to stop. Ya they are probably lying to do so which isnt great but they didnt believe a “no thanks” would be listened to

Salesman is trying to make their quota’s / following a script so they dont lose their job. Its difficult to fault someone for trying to keep their source of income

Biggest Jerk in the story imo is corporate setting quotas/ scripts that force the salesman to be pushy and teach the customer that “no thank you” will be ignored

3 Likes

I’d add only that it is also possible the customer was being honest. If so, he’s not in the wrong for that, either.

4 Likes

This, and even if not (although the “Everyone’s dead” line makes me think he just says that to stop the nagging), he’s just trying to disengage from a conversation being forced upon him (probably indeed by a salesperson being required to go through the whole spiel).
Sure, as Opinion pointed it out, he could have just said no, but he’s still just trying to end the conversation. If the question is whether this is more of a NAR or NAW story, I say NAW.

4 Likes

@KillerTomato More a clarification than anything: it wasn’t OP upselling, but one of their coworkers.

1 Like

For me this is clear NAW. I say either the worker themselves, the company, or both are the ones at fault here. (and I did in the comments).

The first time they offered the raffle entry (free, so not really an upsell) and were told no, regardless of the reason, that should have been the end of it, pushing twice more made the worker/business into the problem, harassing the customer. If he had wanted to enter the raffle and give the gift basket, if he won, to someone else, he could have thought of that himself, or the employee could have asked a generic way about entering to give it away originally, the customer didn’t need to be asked over and over again while the employee listed every possible person the basket could be given to they can think of.

3 Likes

There wouldn’t be a quota involved, not at the employee level at least, possibly at the store level though. This isn’t an upsell (since there’s no selling involved in a free raffle) and when it’s just a slip of paper with contact info for the person entering, there’s no real way to connect those slips to the employee who handed them out. I also kind of doubt it’s a script to list every possible person who you could want to give the gift to every time someone says no.

1 Like

It’s neither. The cashier is forced to ask and then they probably got flustered by the customer not following the script, but the customer can’t be required to follow the script. It’s an interesting enough story, but doesn’t really fit in any of the categories that well.

3 Likes

ESH, to me

2 Likes

I read it as, flustered cashier kept eating foot because they panicked and customer didn’t believe no would work or was being completely honest and so no one was being an AH, just a bad situation. As long as the cashier actually learned from it, we’ve all made mistakes before especially when we were thrown off guard and subsequently panicked, and I find it hard to fault either party.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.