Is mentioning someone is in a wheelchair relevant to this story?

Hi, all!

The comments for this story seem to be divided between mentioning someone is in a wheelchair is irrelevant to the story and needs to be removed, or it’s adding extra detail so that the imagery of what is happening is clearer.

What do you all think? Should this detail stay or go?

1 Like

To me its a physical descriptor like anything else. No different than “the tall man” or " the man with purple hair".

So it wouldmake sense if there were multiple people involved. I.e. “the man with the purple hair did X the other man did Y”. Or if the physical descriptor explains peoples perception. I.e. “the tall man was intimidating because he was a foot taller than all of us.”

In this story it doesnt seem to be either of those. So it doesnt come accross as negative but it also seems not relevant. I dont think it needs to be edited out but had I been the writer I dont think I woulf have included it in the first place.

1 Like

I think it’s relevant because TheLastHonestLawyer gives an explanation for why the guy may be buying condoms other than for the obvious reason. It’s for using a catheter. .

TheLastHonestLawyer Not Always LurkingListen When I Speak!16 hours ago edited

OK, folks, hang on, TMI land is nigh!

I’m a wheelchair user. I also use a catheter and a urine collection bag. The joys of paralysis.

Most cath kits don’t come with a sheaf, a piece that fits over your dangly bit to catch leakage. In this case, we use condoms. A hole big enough to allow the catheter tube to pass through, lightly held in place by rubber bands.

They guy was most likely trying to avoid sitting in a damp spot.

3 Likes

See my reply above.

It seems like the answer to the initial question is "yes, it is necessary to mention he is in a wheelchair, but you’ll need additional information otherwise

For some reason, half my post got swallowed. Here’s what it should have been…

It seems like the answer to the initial question is “yes, it is necessary to mention he is in a wheelchair, but you’ll need additional information otherwise urine for a lot of jumping to conclusions!”

2 Likes

There ought to be a way to have those designed and be a part of the cath package :thinking:
Gee I wish I were more inventive.
I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to run this off topic, but the plight of someone needing a specific item to use a cath, and their comfort level, just pushed my button.
Again, I apologize.

1 Like