Inspired by our grave seeking story, I have to ask. How would you like to be sent on your final farewell?

Personally, I don’t want some big scene. Just dump me off a cliff on some infrequently used path in a state park or something. Let the critters and the mushrooms and the rest of nature have me. Not in the water. I am too scared of drowning.

Bonus morbid humor: Imagine how badly I might terrify some ranger or hiker some day…

1 Like

Yeah, I have a very similar mentality as you! I don’t want anything big or overly… proper for lack of a better term. I’ve always liked those naturalistic burials that plant a tree over your body. I personally think that’s a far better gravestone than a hunk of rock.

1 Like

Apparently, around here, at least, that’s cheaper than a coffin or cremation. I always figured that if the above option isn’t possible, I want either a willow oak or a pine tree of some sort. Preferably loblolly. Both were in my childhood backyard, and I miss them terribly.

1 Like

You know, I’ve never actually thought about what kind of tree I’d want… Maybe a Magnolia or a Southern Live Oak? Both mean a lot to both my childhood and where I’m from (New Orleans).

I don’t know the proper English word for it, but I would like for my ashes to be planted with a tree, somewhere quiet and peaceful in a forest

Edit: It seems to be called a tree urn

Edit 2: Lol, haven’t had my coffe yet. You’re already talking about this :smile:

3 Likes

If it has to be organised and official, I like the idea of water cremation. Otherwise corpse plus cannon, fire me into the sea, let the fish have at!

3 Likes

Not exactly! You’re talking about cremation and burial with a tree, Erika and I were just talking about putting our bodies straight in the ground. Both are good options :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any option is the right one if it’s what the dead wanted.

But I’m okay with just going back to nature.

I want to be buried in whatever way best promotes natural decomposition

3 Likes

Lobbing corpse into the sea then. I think that the salty water will assist in the decomposition of bones and the like, fish get some tasty flesh to nom on.

2 Likes

Im sure this is not a typical opinion but to me asking the person in question what to do with their body seems silly. Ill be gone whatever is done with my body is done for the benefit of those left behind. So whatever gives them the most comfort/closure.

2 Likes

It’s definitely a different opinion but it’s still a valid one!

I can’t speak for everyone of course, but I personally want to have control over my burial because the last thing I want to do is risk being buried under a rock with my deadname permanently etched on it. That’s not how I want to be remembered if I am going to have a proper grave marker :frowning:

1 Like

I don’t want to do that because I know whoever buries me will have different values than me. For instance if I died right now, my mom would have me cremated and kept in an urn, which I find wasteful.

2 Likes

The tree urn thing sounds interesting. I had a full conversation with my mother about that once (and confused and scared my dad). My brother is donating his body to science and doesn’t care what we do with the body afterwards. I asked about turning him into a tree and he said he didn’t care if I did so.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.