I'm a brewer... Ask me anything!

I’m doing a Meet the Brewer at a local pub. It’s a bit quiet so thought that people may appreciate an AMA thread. If you have any questions relating to brewing, the pub trade in general or anything else even tenuously related, ask away!

1 Like

Probably not the question you’re after, but why do all beers, lagers, shandies, ales, stouts, etc taste absolutely disgusting?

I’ve been told that if you persist with them, you get to like them, but that sounds mad!

I have never understood why people have to train themselves to like them.

There are some people (SWMBO being one of them) who are very sensitive to bitterness. Because of this she doesn’t like tea, coffee, beer or many types of vegetables. I would guess that you may be sensitive to it too. In addition to the hops, certain varieties of malt can also be rather bitter. Do you like tea or coffee?

With regards to acquiring a taste, in the UK I believe that it’s a social “nicety”. Someone offers you tea or coffee, most freeze slightly if you say that you don’t like either. It’s the same when someone invites you out for a drink. That’s my theory anyway.

I have always had a taste for “bitter” so never had to train myself to like them. However, I can also eat a jar of marmite with a spoon.

1 Like

Love tea, loathe coffee. Coffee makes my mouth sad. It tastes of death.

Guessing that you have a bitterness sensitivity.

1 Like

How long does it take to brew, from start to finish?

When will you host a NA-beer party? :smiley:

1 Like

hope there’s pop for non-alcoholics

Takes roughly a week. We brew on Tuesday and/or Thursday, transfer into casks on the following Monday and/or Wednesday.

As for the NA-beer party, whenever your boat is free for a booze cruise!

1 Like

I’m sure that mixers will be available.

That fast! I though it’d take months :rofl:

How do you make non-alcohilic beer? Is the alcohol filtered out, or can you alter the progress somehow that it never happens?

< noob <

Commercially non-alcoholic available swill is usually beer with the alcohol removed via reverse osmosis. However, there are now brews that follow the brewing process a lot further. These are usually low ABV beers. These are the classifications of low-to-no alcohol beer in the UK.

Alcohol-free beer = no more than 0.05% ABV
De-alcoholised beer = no more than 0.5% ABV
Low-alcohol beer = no more than 1.2% ABV
Alcoholic beer = contains more than 1.2% ABV

1 Like