I built a house! .... kinda

So I know its not polite to brag on yourself but Im feeling pretty proud of myself and wanted to share. I just finished building a detatched living space in my backyard. I did everything with my own two hands from engineering drawings to pouring concrete, framing, electrical, plumbing, hvac, internet, drywall, paint everything. It took about a year, most of which was spent waiting on approval from the city but its finally done and approved. Approx 512 square feet, full bath, seperate bedroom and living room, outlets for a washer and dryer, and a full HVAC system. For now itll be my office/ workshop but most likely within the next couple of years my MIL will be moving in once it gets harder for her to live alone.

10 Likes

That’s awesome! Congratulations!

2 Likes

Dang. Need a tenant til your MIL moves in?

1 Like

Wow! Was this inspired by traditional Québécois sugar shacks (cabane à sucre)? That’s what I immediately thought of when I saw it, because of the proportions and exterior finish. Just needs a cupola to make the impression complete!

2 Likes

Not knowingly lol. I made it based off buildings Id seen online never knew a name or term for them. Thanks for introducing me to a new word!

And proportions were picked so I wouldnt have to cut as much lumber lol

3 Likes

I think that’s just Canadian, not Quebec. We have one down here in my city in NB.

Good point!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.