How long between story submission and publication?

Would you briefly describe what happens behind the scenes and how long it takes for a story to be published/obliviated after submission?

4 Likes

That’s a great question, and thanks for asking me to be brief!

Well, first the stories are transcribed onto a parchment via a magical quill and then sent by owl to our editing department in a dingy little basement down Knockturn Alley…

Alas, I jest.

The direct submissions to the site are stored in a mail server and are reviewed several times a day. The chief editor reads every single one, and determines where they should be sorted, either Gryffindor, Hufflepuff… no, wait. Sorry… habits. They are sorted to either NAR, NAW, NAL, Unfiltered, etc.

From there, the submissions are collected into weekly batches and assigned to editors. These batches vary in size depending on the category, the largest, of course, being NAR.

For every category except NAR and NAW, we usually edit all the stories received that week, which means you will see them published two or three weeks after submission. For NAW it’s about six weeks, and for NAR it varies but at the moment it’s about nine weeks, although we are gradually bringing that down!

I hope that clears up some of the questions you had about the process!

7 Likes

but I have seen stories show up on the “main site” before they show up on unfiltered. And yet isn’t it suppose to be the other way around?

This implies that every story goes to Unfiltered first, and then will appear on the main feed. This is not the case.

As I said, every story is read by the chief editor first, and sorted into batches, such as NAR, NAW, etc. Those stories are then edited to be published in their specific categories, never ever being categorized or tagged as Unfiltered.

Unfiltered is just a category for stories that we appreciate receiving, but we do not feel are strong enough to be featured on the main feed, as per our suggested guidelines for what makes a good story.

3 Likes

Has the waiting time gone down? I had a story appear last year in NAR that I submitted about 6 or 7 years before.

I saw a friends story pop up on here, three years after she submitted it. That’s not exactly nine weeks lol

I love your comments.

The “about” in “about nine weeks” covers a multitude of variations! We have a very large backlog of stories for “Right” and some batches get moved around more than others, but we’re doing our best to bring that backlog down.

Also sometimes we will space some stories out to avoid thematically or stylistically similar stories all congregating together, which can delay specific stories. We don’t want 20 long, non-dialogue, inspirational stories all on the same day, after all!

1 Like