Holiday categories game

Let’s have ourselves a merry little holiday game. The start will be christmas eve.

It’s a game of categories where multiple answers are correct. Example: Name 3 different types of clothes.

Every answer is worth 5 points, but every time an answer is given by more then 1 person, 2 points are deducted. So:
1 people answers coat - 5 points
2 people answer sock - 3 points
3 people answer pants - 1 point
4 people answer sweater - 0 points.

Every day, I’ll give a question between 1900 and 2200 GMT, you have 24 hours to send me a private message with your answers. This so nobody can see each others answers. Also post on the forum to let everyone else know you’re in the game.
The next day, I’ll post everyone’s answers and scores.

Standings:
89 points. Bibliovore
86 points. CJR
82 points. AthenaCat
82 points. Stephen
77 points. Sillsallad
35 points. Jonnie_Madison

4 Likes

What happens if two people come up with different terms for the same thing? To use your clothing analogy: pants / trousers. Or if somebody gets specific. Say shoes / high heels / brogues?
Do they still get points docked or are they technically different answers?

Sorry to be a pest. This sounds like fun. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m in!

2 Likes

I like this idea!

Might I suggest that if we submit an answer, we also post on the thread. That way it will keep the game bumped up and will allow others to see it and get them to join in too?

1 Like

Might I suggest that if we submit an answer, we also post on the thread.

To confirm, you mean post simply that we sent in an answer, but not posting what our answer was, right? If so, I agree; posting our answers would seem to mess with the multiple-same answers purpose, though.

1 Like

If we just put messages to say ‘Submitted’ or something, that might work. We can see how much competition we have! Lol!
Or maybe a comment on the current topic… (Knowing you, yours’ll likely be a pun or funny of some kind! :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Ooh I love playing Categories! Count me in

1 Like

Yup, just a post to say we’ve submitted, no answers included

1 Like

I like the idea, but I might have to avoid the pun as it could impact other people’s answers

1 Like

I like the idea of posting. Indeed gives a sence of how many people are joining that day, and even if it impacts what others are guessing, could be part of the strategy.

I knew games like this exist, but didn’t know the name. Aparently it’s called ‘categories’, good to know :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think it depends on the questions and specific answers. When in doubt, I’ll consult you guys.

2 Likes

Yay, I’m on!

1 Like

Okay, I see enough positive reactions. Nice. This means we’re going for it. Starting christmas eve, I will ask questions. Last round ends at new years day. 8 questions in total. So I have some time to figure out the questions, I have 5 so far :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m going to visit my parents tonight, so don’t know if I have time / want to post the question of the day tonight. Which means lucky you, because we’re starting now!

Name 3 well known christmas activities

Good luck everyone, I’ll see the answers in my inbox.

4 Likes

Internationally well known, or are we all open to cultural differences?

2 Likes

If4B6tR

Translation: it’s scent

3 Likes

Internationally. If I don’t know it, I’ll post it here to see if the majority knows it or not.

2 Likes

¢ !
Thanks for doing this, @Murdocku. :slight_smile:

(I didn’t see an answer to @Jonnie_Madison’s question about what happens if people send different terms for the same thing; was that decided?)

3 Likes

Yeah, when in doubt, I’ll consult you guys. If it really is the same thing, it’s the same. If it is slightly different, I’ll let the majority decide.

4 Likes

Submitted :slight_smile:

Thanks for doing this @Murdocku

3 Likes