Help me build my Dragon's Hoard!

So. I am playing D&D with some friends, and my new character is an adult Silver dragon who is cursed after a human steals something from their hoard and when they hunt him down, he gives them a cursed dagger instead. They are now a human gunslinger who liked hanging out with humanoids anyway, but they definitely did NOT want to BE a human.
This means I need fun and weird stuff in their hoard! Silver Dragons are friendly to humans and enjoy being friends with the “short-lived races”. They also love interesting and shiny toys with fun or weird histories.

Since the hoard won’t be a part of the game, I can totally go nuts on what’s in it! What do you suggest?!

This is the current iteration of the 5e dragon. Adult Silver Dragon - Monsters - D&D Beyond

1 Like

Long lived? Why not call this Dragon “George”? It turns out he was changed into a human centuries ago, and is actually the source of the George and the Dragon legend. What people nowadays are describing as the fight between the saint and the dragon was actually the newly transformed George having a shouting match with his wife because he didn’t get her favourite toothpick back, and that cursed dagger is really not suitable!

2 Likes

He can then go on about how all these other legends are really very dull in reality. Like how Noah’s flood was really him leaving the taps running; Cinderella was a gatecrasher who ran off before she was thrown out by the guards, and so on

1 Like

Definitely a collection of some kind of something simple through the ages/different cultures. Like say, spoons or keys, or cups, or something most people wouldn’t collect.

Maybe also some interesting dolls? I don’t know exactly what setting you are playing in, but coming up with what kinds of dolls say dwarves might have versus halflings etc could be cool. In general, a dragons hoard should be a mishmash of random things some valuable some that the dragon considers valuable.

1 Like

You could also add to it as you play. Just occasionally when interacting with something you could say “oh I had one of those back in my hoard”

2 Likes

Since your character is a gunslinger: pistol mousetrap. It’s a mousetrap, but with a pistol.

Maybe some inventions inspired by da Vinci?

The Ancient Greeks had some automated things, including automated theatres. Maybe one or two of those would fit in.
http://kotsanas.com/gb/exh.php?exhibit=0101002

3 Likes

That would be hilarious.
It’s in Faerun/Curse of Strahd, but I LOVE the one about Cinderella.

1 Like

I love this idea so much, but there is a SUPER creepy living doll that keeps interacting with us and that’s a big nope from me lol
Randomly adding things sounds perfect.

1 Like

I NEED. a pistol Mousetrap. Not even this character just me.

1 Like

You want thingamabobs? I got twenty.

3 Likes

To combine that with what Stephen said about an old dragon. Maybe they collect something that USED to be valuable but is common place now.

Not sure what that would be in this setting but the real world equivalent would be clear glass or something that used to be rare and expensive but much more affordable now.

2 Likes

Pineapples!

1 Like

Thinking about it, Ariel was kind of a dragon

“I want MOOOOOORE”

2 Likes

Egg cups. VCR tapes. Pressed flowers. Magic lantern slides. Teacups and saucers.

2 Likes

Commemorative coins - and he’s missing that one copper coin they made 100,000 of 527 years ago and it’s BUGGING him something fierce. Every time the party finds copper coins he’ll inspect each one to see if one of them might be it.

6 Likes

That’s hilarious, I love this!

Ariel is DEFINITELY a red dragon.

Would hoarding anachronisms be too world breaking? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

hahaha maybe, but I still love that.

1 Like

How about an amulet that allows the wearer to change appearance. Unfortunately, the person that is being fooled will see someone they know cannot possibly be there, owing to reason of that person being in jail, a grave, etc

2 Likes