Have you ever seen the Milky Way? (Not the candy!)

My new year’s resolution is to see the Milky Way. I have seen the night sky in rural areas a few times in my life and was amazed each time at how many stars I can see. Apparently every planet except Neptune can be seen with the naked eye, which sounds incredible since I can barely see the moon with all the light pollution from cities. But I don’t have a telescope and I’m not sure where to start—maybe I’ll try the planetarium when it’s safe again?

Is anyone else interested in astronomy? Or doing anything this year to reconnect with nature? Have you ever seen the Milky Way? What’s your favorite planet/star/etc?

I like to think that when I’ll be at a non-polluted site, I’ll be amazed by the view. Unfortunately, it would probably be a long drive/flight to find such a place.
For me, looking through a telescope would probably not feel as good, I fear it might give me a feeling of watching television.

I’m an astrophysics major, so yes, I’m into astronomy :slight_smile:
I once was on an overnight boat at the Great Barrier Reef. That was the most amazing stargazing I have ever seen, nothing has compared to it since. I live in a city, so I don’t really get to do stargazing unless I’m on vacation.
My favorite star is Proxima Centauri, the closet star to the solar system, because of a research project I worked on.
Telescopes are less good for me, I have trouble focusing things you look through (microscopes, telescopes, binoculars, etc.)

1 Like

Yep I did! This was years ago and I was at camp. It was so cool!

1 Like

Yes, several times while sailing at night. It’s beautiful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

It occurs to me that both the times I’ve seen it (including the one above) were on boats too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.