Game: What's the Book?

I really enjoyed @Murdocku’s “Whats the movie new edition” game, and thought I’d try offering one about books. Can you guess what books are represented by the emojis below? All are generally well known (classics, award-winners, and/or highly popular for a long period of time), all are book-length fiction (no short stories, nonfiction, poems, or plays), and they come from various periods and genres and target age ranges.

Borrowing heavily from Murdocku, here are the
RULES:

• Each person may make up to 2 guesses (in one or separate posts) between my confirmations, which I’ll try to post daily in the rough vicinity of 2200 GMT.
  • Specify clearly which item number goes with each guess. Caution: Do not list numbers on new lines followed by either “.” or “)” — if you do, they may display as an ordered list instead of whatever numbers you actually typed. Check before you post!
  • Guess any item not already confirmed as solved. You may guess items with awaiting-confirmation guesses as long as your guesses don’t exactly duplicate any of the waiting ones.
  • If you edit a guess-containing post before I count it, no guesses in that post count, and you lose out on one guess for that day.
  • I’m ignoring typos, as well as variant spellings, capitalization, punctuation, and minor missing bits — unless the difference changes it to a different title.
  • When the end of the game nears, I’ll institute Rapid Fire: Guess one item at a time as often as you want as long as you wait for me to say right or wrong to your previous guess.

Have fun! :slight_smile:

NOT YET SOLVED:
None — you got them all!

SOLVED:
1. :older_man: :ocean:The Old Man and the Sea, by Ernest Hemingway
2. :raised_hand: :woman: :open_book:The Handmaid’s Tale, by Margaret Atwood
3. :man: :gun: :man: :gun: :man: :gun:The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas
4. 1950s; :see_no_evil: :man_facepalming:t6:Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison
5. :boy:t4: :tiger2:Life of Pi, by Yann Martel
6. 1970s; :ring: :ringer_planet: :rocket: :stars:Ringworld, by Larry Niven (or, in certain circles, Nevinyrral…)
7. :older_man: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
8. :revolving_hearts: :baby:t6: :skull:Beloved, by Toni Morrison
9. :sound: :rage:The Sound and the Fury, by William Faulkner
10. :dagger: :bird:To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
11. 1990s; :nauseated_face: :deciduous_tree: :orange_book:The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver
12. :older_woman: :older_woman: :older_woman: :clock1: :girl: :boy: :boy: :brain:A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle
13. :dagger: :steam_locomotive: :railway_car: :railway_car: :railway_car:Murder on the Orient Express, by Agatha Christie
14. :crossed_swords: :dove:War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy
15. :lion: :woman_mage: :door:The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C. S. Lewis
16. 1940s; :eye:  [ :fishing_pole_and_fish: / :magnet: ]  :european_castle:   I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith
17. :a:The Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne
18. :arrow_right: :bulb: :house:To the Lighthouse, by Virginia Woolf
19. :grapes: :rage:The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck
20. 1940s; :bride_with_veil: :bust_in_silhouette: :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:Brideshead Revisited (full title: Brideshead Revisited, The Sacred & Profane Memories of Captain Charles Ryder), by Evelyn Waugh
21. :boy: :chocolate_bar: :factory:Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by Roald Dahl
22. :girl: :girl: :girl: :girl:Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott
23. 1860s; :prince: :crazy_face: :ru:The Idiot, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
24. :eye: :orange_circle:A Clockwork Orange, by Anthony Burgess
25. :girl: :hole: :rabbit: :watch:Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll
26. :older_man: :framed_picture: :man:The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde
:arrow_down:  
:point_left: :black_large_square: :point_right:     :rocket:
:arrow_up:  
  — The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. Le Guin
28. :deciduous_tree: :arrow_up: :cityscape:A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith
29. :pig: :spider_web:Charlotte’s Web, by E. B. White
30. :books: :fire:Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
31. 1960s; :boy: :wolf: :arrow_forward: :japanese_ogre: :imp: :japanese_goblin:Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak
32. 1870s;
:drum: :walking_woman: :walking_man: :walking_woman: :walking_man:
:arrow_forward: :drum: :walking_woman: :walking_man: :walking_woman: :walking_man: :arrow_backward:
:drum: :walking_woman: :walking_man: :walking_woman: :walking_man:Middlemarch, by Mary Ann Evans, a.k.a. George Eliot

33. :white_circle: :fire: :nine::nine::nine:Pale Fire, by Vladimir Nabokov
34. :black_large_square: :horse:Black Beauty, by Anna Sewell
35. :cat:   :baby: :bed:Cat’s Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
36. :droplet: :chocolate_bar:Like Water for Chocolate, by Laura Esquivel
37. :white_large_square: :wolf:White Fang, by Jack London
38. :+1: :blue_book: :stars:The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams (who, I’ve just learned, apparently decreed that “Hitchhiker’s” should always be one unhyphenated word despite his initial “Hitch-Hiker’s”)
39. :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn: :arrow_forward: :unicorn: :arrow_backward:The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle
40. :jigsaw: :zombie:Frankenstein (full original title: Frankenstein; or, the Modern Prometheus), by Mary Shelley
41. :man_curly_haired: :mage: :mountain: :dragon:The Hobbit, by J. R. R. Tolkien
42. :crescent_moon: :gem:The Moonstone, by Wilkie Collins
43. :purple_square:The Color Purple, by Alice Walker
44. :spades: :eagle:The Maltese Falcon, by Dashiell Hammett
45. :man_mechanic: :thread: :policeman: :male_detective:Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, by John le Carré
46. :ghost: :mountain: :house:The Haunting of Hill House, by Shirley Jackson
47. :dog2: :paw_prints: :skull_and_crossbones: :mag:The Hound of the Baskervilles, by Arthur Conan Doyle
48. 1950s; :girl: :clock1: :policeman: :mag: :prince: :prince: :european_castle:The Daughter of Time, by Josephine Tey
49. 1810s; :smirk: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
50. :robot: :thought_balloon: :sheep:Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, by Philip K. Dick

FINAL SCORES:
12 — AthenaCat (3, 4, 9, 11, 12, 14, 20, 24, 45, 47, 49, +1 bonus)
12 — Stephen (2, 6, 16, 19, 23, 30, 31, 33, 39, 43, 48, +1 bonus)
9 — grondmaster (1, 18, 27, 32, 34, 40, 44, 46, +1 bonus)
5 — Grey (8, 15, 17, 35, 41)
4 — Celoptra (5, 22, 26, 42)
3 — LeadingZero (10, 28, 38)
2 — CJR (25, 50)
2 — Jonnie_Madison (36, 37)
2 — ROSE (7, 29)
2 — weatherby2378 (13, 21)
1 — Sal (31)

2 Likes

No. 1: Old Man And The Sea
No. 34: Black Beauty

Some lovely clues there. I expect most to get picked up before I get my next shot.

15: the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe
41: the hobbit

I recognize quite a few of the clues but quite a few of them also have me stumped and curious haha

13 should be Murder on the Orient Express and 21 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

25 - Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
50 - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

19 Grapes of Wrath

39 the last unicorn

1. The Picture of Dorian Grey
    42 The Moonstone-
  1. A Christmas Carol
  1. Charlotte’s Web

This was a bit tricky for me to assemble because I wasn’t sure where the clue sweet spot might be here for book awareness as opposed to movies, given international readership and that movies often have wider audiences. I’m delighted to see so many of these are being recognized, and hope that doesn’t mean this ends too quickly for people’s liking. Kudos to everyone so far!

There was a bit of rules clarification earlier that resulted in some deleted posts and one approved post edit. Here are the scores today; so far everyone has 2 points each:

grondmaster: 1 & 34 are correct
Grey: 15 & 41 are correct
weatherby2378: 13 & 21 are correct
CJR: 25 & 50 are correct
Stephen: 19 & 39 are correct
Celoptra: 26 & 42 are correct
ROSE: 7 & 29 are correct

I’m updating the top post with running scores and correct answers.

1. Are You There God? Its Me Marget,
    5.Life of Pi

43 the colour purple

30 Fahrenheit 451

1 Like
  1. Like Water for Chocolate
  2. White Fang

17: the scarlet letter
35: cat’s cradle?

1. War and Peace
1 Like
  1. Tinker Tailor Solider Spy

(Please excuse the typo in the last guess, realized it 30 seconds after posting)