For the record, I do not have a medical degree

Surgeon: Do you know the word “nosocomial”?
Me: No, but I know “no soap radio”.

(I see people complaining a lot about extraneous details, so… is this good as is or does it need more context?)

A brief line to introduce the setting would help. I’m guessing it was at a consultation? But it could equally be at a dinner party.

A short “where we are and why we’re talking” I think would be an improvement.

2 Likes

Thank you for your concrit!

I work as a veterinary assistant; basically, I do odd jobs around the place that don’t need a vet tech degree. So walking dogs, cleaning surgical instruments, emptying the trash and sharps bins… whatever they have available. I am never quite sure how to explain my job in a concise manner that doesn’t make make it sound more technical than it is.

I happened to be watching one of the surgeons scrub up pre-spay, and since I noticed she was washing and drying and gowning in a very specific order, I asked her if she was required to do it that way. She started off with asking me about what sounded like “no-soap-comio”.

(Funnily enough, once she said that “nosocomial” referred to hospital infections, I realized that I’d come across that word the previous day… on Not Always Working).

1 Like

This is a tricky one… having seen your explanation, i think you definitely need the context, especially making sure people are aware of your knowledge level. Otherwise expect “YOu ShOUlD kNoW WoRdS LiKe tHaT AS YoU’rE A vETeRiNArY AsSIsTAnT!!!”. But whilst it is an amusing anecdote, it’s one that the punchline suffers the longer the set up is.

Here’s my initial thoughts, but I think the opening still needs to be shorter

I work as a veterinary assistant. This might sound incredibly technical, but it really isn’t, as you don’t need a vet’s degree to do this. So I do odd jobs like walking dogs, cleaning surgical instruments, emptying the trash and sharps bins and so on.

I’m watching one of the surgeons scrub up pre-spay, and since I noticed she was washing and drying and gowning in a very specific order, I asked her if she was required to do it that way.

Surgeon: Do you know the word “nosocomial”?
Me: No, but I know “no soap radio”.

1 Like

All right, you’ve given me something to chew on… that opening paragraph would certainly work for a longer story.

1 Like