First time trying recipes/foods

Made a potato salad today. First time doing it on my own. Probably super bare-bones lol, I just kinda threw everything together.

3 Likes

Meat thermometers are a life saver. Just remember that the center of the meat will continue to fo up after you take it off the heat. So take it off the heat when its internal temp is a 5 to 10 degrees fahrenheit short of what you want.

As far as seasoning its personal preference but im a big fan of sage with lamb and oregano is also fairly common

2 Likes

For me the meat:bone ratio is atrocious. I don’t understand the hype either but SWMBO loves them. But then I don’t understand the hype over fast food and takeaways either.

1 Like

So this one may not sound appetizing to some and started as a “for health reasons meal” more than a “for taste meal” but ended up being better than expected. I made a meatloaf with eggs, onion, ground almonds, apple cider vinegar, jalapenos, ground beef and beef liver (equal parts beef and liver). I like it more than expected. But i think some might prefer switching out the vinegar and jalapeno for something sweeter like a BBQ sauce or ketchup.

2 Likes

I don’t love most veggies - I’m a victim of the “parents boiled everything” childhood - so I’ve been trying to find ways that I can cook them that actually taste good. Something I picked up from a recipe recently which I loved was taking a bunch of veggies, just whatever’s on hand (which for me was bell peppers, onions, tomatos, and mushrooms), maybe a meat (I tried fish), and put it all together in a bowl. Add a smidge of sugar, I used just one spoon of it, and mix it all up, then fry it. Tastes delicious, not exactly sweet but better than plain fried veggies.

1 Like

Have you tried roasting vegetables? They can often be magnificent that way. This is my partner’s current favorite way to eat broccoli:

I’ve tried it. It’s okay. Still pretty bland, but the texture is better. I bought a container of multi-use spices to try with them that I’m working through now, but it turned out to be quite salty and I don’t like it much. I did fried broccoli, onion, and mushrooms recently which was quite good when mixed with pasta.

1 Like

Cool. Should you ever want to try it, that broccoli recipe is good flavor-wise, and broccoli (anything, really) is much less bland when seasoned up with garlic, lemon, Parmesan, and salt to taste (no more than you want — or none at all, if Parmesan is salty enough for you). :slight_smile:

I have a lot of trouble with seasoning tbh. I’d like to find a “one fits all” seasoning that I can just use for anything, because remembering what seasoning is good with what is very confusing for me.

Funny story, my friend group has a running joke about parmesan. A friend of ours has very bland tastes, and told us a story about the time their mom made them pasta and they asked her if she added anything extra to it “because it’s spicy”. Parmesan. She’d added parmesan.

2 Likes

One seasoning suggestion that helped me, when less familiar with what tends to go with what, is to smell the seasoning and see if the smell seems to be good with what you’re having. But you might browse spice blends available wherever you are; if you’re in the US, you could do a lot worse than some Penzeys blends — for instance, their Mural of Flavor or Forward seasonings. (Incidentally, their smoked paprika is awesome, easily the best I’ve ever had.) Good luck!

And your bland-tastes friend has very a very different definition from mine of what’s spicy. But a friend of mine has incredibly bland tastes and people joke that milk is too spicy for him, so hey. %)

I’ve been working through 1000 Vegan Recipes systematically for the last… 11 years or so. In that time, I’ve learned to make my own pasta, discovered that chayote is amazing when roasted, (badly!) made my own tamarind paste, and overall become more adventurous. It’s like knowing that a particular recipe is coming up and about to be tried means I’m about to learn how to do bread or scones, no matter how nervous I am about it. Right now? I’ve got three more scones recipes to try (starting next week after Passover… seriously bad time to be stuck in the ‘bread’ unit). Then… onto focaccias and chapatis!

1 Like

I’ve been doing meal kits and I’ve picked up sooo many little things from it, even when I don’t love the food.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.