Ending streaming a step to far in the wrong direction?

Today’s learning story This one: This Teacher Passes The Compassion Test With Flying Colors reminded me of what’s going on currently in my province’s high school system.

In Ontario, until this coming fall there’s been two types of classes for students. One was called the Applied class and the other was called the Advanced classes. When I was in high school for at least Gr.9 and 10 I was in applied classes (which were “for those not going to college or university”) for at least Math, English and Science. Advanced classes teach you more abstract math I guess. (I wish I had been in advanced English instead of applied English since in Gr.9 I could have read Frankenstein in that class).

Now there’s a downside to the applied classes due to the belief that people have about racialized minorities that even if any kids in that area was an A+ student in Elementary school (or the occasion middle school) that they would be forced into the applied classes despite them wanting to go to college or university.

Ford government (which might or might not get the hot seat again in June which I hope not) promised as of last year I believe to end what’s called the streaming process but that would mean students like I was would suffer- since I don’t really need to learn complex abstract math, I need to learn more like real-life math like budgeting, and stuff.

Are they also going to abolish IEP / IPPs (Individual Education Plan / Individual Program Plan) as accommodations for students? Probably not, because it would be discriminatory. So where do you draw the line between streaming and IEP implementation?

This is typical political baloney. Instead of addressing racial discrimination concerns directly, he’ll just take a wrecking ball to a system that he doesn’t fully understand.

1 Like

There’s been no word on that but I think the difference might be is that IEPs are made according to the disabled students needs vs a system that a previous provincial government established. That the applied level was suppose to help students not going into college or university but going straight into the workforce.

On another topic, my parents and I don’t really agree with a super, super, special ed class which doesn’t really do anything and a problem of that super, super special ed class* is that because so many EAs are allocated to that class it means others like me whom have IEPs, and need EAs and whom are in non-special classes have to suffer.

*It only because of my knowledge of the super, super, special ed class that it helped me to figure out something about Judith Heurman’s Education when she would have been 9 years old (ie: Gr.4) in her book Being Heruman

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.