Doctor's office can't seem to get my age right!

I recently start seeing a doctor at an office I’ve never been to before. When I first called to set up an appointment, the receptionist on the phone asked for my date of birth, among other things. I told her I was born on a particular day in 1991.

When I arrived for my appointment, I had to fill out new patient paperwork. Before printing it out and handing it to me, the receptionist at the desk asked again for my date of birth, among other things. I gave her my ID and my insurance card to process, and I told her I was born on a particular day in 1991.

When I sat down to fill out the paperwork, it had my birthdate listed as the correct date… in 1995. I just crossed out the incorrect year, wrote the correct one next to it, and informed the receptionist of the mistake when I returned the form. She told me she’d correct it right away and sent me back to my seat to wait for the doctor.

Some time later, I was called back to an exam room where a nurse basically ran through the information on the new patient forms, which had already been entered into their computer system. We were together for quite a while. She verified my date of birth, among other things. I confirmed that I was born on a particular day in 1991.

Finally, after a while (but not an unreasonable time) of waiting, the doctor came in. She logged into the computer that the nurse had just logged out of, pulled up my patient information, and started verifying some information, which she said she always does because she once had two patients by the same name in different rooms at the same time! She asked for my date of birth. I told her I was born on a particular day in 1991.

She said okay, seemingly confirming that this information was correct. Then, she asked me how old I was. I told her I was 29, very nearly 30. She spun around and stared at me for a moment. She asked again, rather intensely, how old I was. I told her again, and then she asked again for my date of birth. I told her again, as clearly as I could, that I was born on a particular day in 1991.

The doctor told me that the computer listed my date of birth as 1995. Annnnd she would not be able to continue my appointment until such time as the record correctly reflected my date of birth. I told her I’d asked the receptionist to correct it. She sighed, rolled her eyes, and took off to talk to the receptionist.

The issue seems to have been resolved now, but I’m still so confused! I was wearing a mask, but I speak loudly and clearly; I’ve done public speaking and community theater for much of my life, and I rarely have a problem being understood. And to me, “one” doesn’t sound anything like “five”!

Sounds like a case of : Oops she forgot and then later, oops didn’t pay attention

1 Like