Disqus - Blocked working both ways

To be honest, I’m not a big fan of puns either… but I’d never block someone that makes puns. I think that’s a weird reason to block someone.

4 Likes

As a counterpoint, if you have blocked someone for harassing or abusing you, the old system lets them still reply to your posts without the ability to fight back, or even knowing what they are saying about you.

1 Like

A primary reason for me leaving the site comments was the likes of Edward posting really hateful and false stuff with no moderation against them and while yes, I could block them, it didn’t really help knowing that they could still read my stuff.

I kind of like the blocking working both ways on one hand, but on the other I’d much prefer some more robust moderation like mods actually joining in and being visible (e.g. like on Reddit forums I frequent).

3 Likes

So far the only one who I’ve seen has blocked me is Boldereml or however his name is spelled. I don’t care. I blocked him too.

1 Like

I think I’ve only blocked spam girls. Don’t know if someone blocked me, wouldn’t care if so tbh. Where can you even see that?

2 Likes

If i log out of Disqus, i can see the posts that were hidden from me.

Ah okay. Won’t do that, I have to reset my password every single time I try to log back in. It’s super frustrating

1 Like

It might just be easier for you to open up a story in an incognito tab since you aren’t auto-logged into anything when you’re in incognito mode. Most browsers have a button to make a new incognito tab/window for a link when you right-click on the link :slight_smile:

5 Likes

For me the most obvious are the posts that just say ‘Blocked content’ but which have replies. The reply header says who had posted something, and most of them are people I haven’t blocked.

2 Likes

Had something weird happen to me either. A post was marked as “Content unavailable”, and it was sitting right above the “more” button. When I clicked more to show more comments, that post was also shown. Wasn;'t a user I recognised either.

2 Likes

And blocked by another for disagreeing on how much we should stand around chatting with other customers at the deli.

It REALLY feels awkward to be able to see that you get blocked.

4 Likes

He’s back. I saw a post from him claiming he wasn’t banned, he had just logged out accidentally.

Honestly, If he’s not perma-banned, I don’t think I can take much more of his bigotry and nonsense before I leave the site permanently.

3 Likes

Well, it was nice while it lasted. If he bothers you that much, you could always block him.

Blocking is problematic, because 1) Disqus doesn’t keep me logged in for some silly reason. It’s one button to log back in but stilll… and 2) He’s still free to spread his vile bigotry and anti-masking anti-vaxxing drivel and the moderators don’t seem to care.

3 Likes

He’ll be equally free to do that if you leave, though.

Annnnd now it looks like the change has been reversed? o_O

Yeah I know, but it’s more that I’m not a fan of “bigotry is still free speech” policies.

3 Likes

Not on my end, I still see “blocked content”.

2 Likes

Same here: “Content Unavailable” it says for me.

1 Like

I hadn’t seen this until today – looks like Celoptra has me blocked.

…well, hi there! :smiley:

But yeah, for security reasons, anything that explicitly identifies that someone has blocked/muted you isn’t a great design.

3 Likes

Just figured out that this is what the “Content Unavailable” messages were about. I agree with the general sentiment that this undermines the point of a block (especially with how easy it is to just look things up in an incognito window).

It would almost certainly be better to have this as a separate function. Block a user to prevent yourself from seeing their stuff, and Hide from a user to prevent them from seeing your posts.

That said, it has been interesting to see who all has actually blocked me. Ed was expected, and so far, I haven’t really seen anyone I actually respected that seems to have me on block.

5 Likes