Disqus - Blocked working both ways

This started happening yesterday, and I noticed that a number of posts started becoming unavailable, unless I log out.

From what I can gather, I can now no longer view the posts of the people who have blocked me. Is this a Disqus change, or just limited to NAR? And what do you all think about it?

Me, I never block anyone, and I would much rather know what people are saying. Having said that, I can understand why those who are being hassled by a user would rather not have the hassler read what is being said.

5 Likes

Oh, wow. I don’t block anyone, either; I’ve not encountered that. (And from your phrasing, it sounds like you specifically mean on Discord Disqus, not on these forums?)

…I just looked it up, and it sounds like it’s a universal Disqus thing:
https://help.disqus.com/en/articles/1717146-user-blocking#the-impact-of-blocking-a-user

Additionally, the blocked user will no longer be able to view your comments. They’ll see ”Content unavailable” when viewing your posts or your profile.

I could see it both ways, too, but I think having a blockee automatically also blocked from seeing their blocker’s posts could lead to other problems: someone could block someone they wanted to hassle so their target wouldn’t see their posts, then could post negative things about them to try to more invisibly undermine them with others.

Hm.

3 Likes

I dont have a problem with it assuming it blocks the whole thread. Like it would be annoying if Person A and Person B were having a debate but Person B had me blocked so it just looked like Person A was talking to themselves.

4 Likes

It’s on Disqus, not on Discord. I have no idea if anyone has blocked me on Discord, but I (now) know that Samuel Vimes IX (formerly Will Flynn) has blocked me on Disqus

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s FOMO for me, but I’d much prefer to be able to read everyone’s posts

1 Like

D’oh, yes; sometimes my brain crosses the names “Disqus” and “Discord,” though it never seems to mix up which app is which. Updated in the post.

And yeah, I’d rather be able to read everything, too.

1 Like

Ideally, I’d rather read everyone’s posts but some trolls raise my blood pressure. Baldomero, for example. I don’t think it’s a good idea to let people know that people have blocked them, though. Which this change does.

4 Likes

I just remember the two Ohio library stories where the library according to the Op is in a low-income area which has blacks and I think the word was Hispanics which use the library frequently but their Library director was(still is if it’s the same person still running) a racist, ablest witch with a B. But either two people or one person with two accounts refused to listen to a lot of us about bigotty and “couldn’t see” racism in the story

Everyone whom “talked” to them just blocked them since they were so determined to be right

I’ve blocked a couple people. Not really sure how I feel now I know they can find out I blocked them. On the one hand, I’ve blocked them do why do I care if they see my posts or not, but on the other they haven’t blocked me do there’s no reason my posts should be hidden from them.

I do try not to block people just because I disagree with them, and used to just not block anyone. But one person’s posts became too much, so I decided if someone says something too horrid I’ll block them. Funnily enough, I’ve yet to block Anderson since I haven’t seen any of his downright nasty comments since I made that decision.

3 Likes

The problem with this is that if someone is actively targeting someone and this lets them know that their victim has blocked them, the harasser can now go find some other way to target the victim. And they might have done that anyway, but this makes it much more likely and easier.

6 Likes

I’ll join the “this is a bad idea for a number of reasons” league.
Also, I don’t think it makes much sense – if someone blocked me, then that person has a problem with posts I make, there’s no reason for me to not be able to read their posts.

6 Likes

I think it’s likely to drive people into making new accounts as a work around. I don’t really think it’s great.

My account is relatively new* and I only have some spammers blocked, but I just discovered someone blocked me - possibly for disagreeing with them or correcting language.

This feature isn’t very useful with the way it’s implemented, but if they want to keep it, it could be better to separate it from blocking and call it something like “hide my comments”. This way you could use block for people you just don’t want to see and “hide comments” from people that tried some form of bullying.

*on the relatively new account… I used to post under the name Hummm, until the beginning of the pandemic when some people were very rude to me. I started blocking loads of people, until I decided to stop reading this site. Several months later I tried to log in and couldn’t recover my password, even after using the “forgot my password” button, so, new account it is…

5 Likes

Well. It’s been eye opening to see how many people disagree enough with me to have me blocked.

Also kinda sad considering I was raised to avoid confrontation and fights as much as possible.

5 Likes

Why on earth would someone block Stephen? Just think about all the missed puns :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

That might be one reason if someone hates puns :wink:
Or maybe someone finds him too nice.

3 Likes

I recall seeing a post of Herbal Moon saying they didn’t much care for puns, and they blocked me because i was the most prominent.

Not sure why Samuel Vimes has blocked me. Pretty sure Flami blocked me because i wouldn’t stop bugging her to apologise for her extreme nastiness every time i saw her post another grammar or typo correction.

5 Likes

Just had a look, and it appears that Edward was another who blocked me. Their ban must still be in place, as they’ve not posted in almost three weeks, and their account is still there (albeit inactive)

5 Likes

And nothing of value was lost. :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t feel bad. At least three people have blocked me, and I don’t post nearly as often as you do.

I’ve found it kinda weird as there was a couple of people that I discovered thanks to this have blocked me that leave me wondering “What did I do to that person?”. Either I’ve never really interacted with them before… or all our interactions were pleasant.

1 Like