Customer thinks they are being "oppressed" because they can't get a discount

Hi, it’s me the editor again. Not really a proper story but I am sure this is something that’s as relatable to you as much as it is to me.

One time I told an entitled customer “no” for the first time in her life and so she claimed she was being “oppressed” and “targeted for harassment” over not getting fifty cents off a decorative cow paper-weight in the sale that had ended yesterday.

Part of me wants to explain to them that they have no idea what real oppression is but then again if they don’t even know how to read dates then I don’t hold much hope for them in understanding what real persecution looks like.

Seriously what world do these customers live in?

5 Likes

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about working in the world of retail, it’s that customers will resort to any and every excuse possible when they aren’t getting their own way.

3 Likes

Absolutely, which is why it’s both hilarious yet horrifying to see their reaction when they don’t get their own way for the first time. To be unable to process that the world doesn’t revolve around you and your whims when you’re middle-aged means you have led a very privileged and spoilt life.

It’s a big indicator that someone has led this kind of life when the slightest inconvenience is mistaken as “oppression” then

2 Likes

It is disappointing as a customer to miss a bargain, and you also feel cheated.

The latest one on me was a series of e-books on super special offer, but it was one day only and I missed it. Actually, I’d be embarrassed not supporting the author, but I wanted a book which I have already bought and I have at home… somewhere. But I don’t know where!