Complaining About Home Life

If you go with pasta and assume no sauce, cook pasta but don’t drain pasta water completely. Add cheese and bacon, crack in an egg or two and stir. Pasta carbonara made right!

2 Likes

yes to butter

You can pretty easily make a milk substitute out of butter: one cup (1/4 liter) water and 1 1/2 teaspoon (or half a tablespoon; 7 grams) butter for one cup water. This is for baking only; don’t do this with your cereal. With that in mind:

Mac and cheese recipe:

[Apologies if the measurements are off]
1/2 liter water
7 grams butter
3 grams salt
245 grams pasta
110 grams cheese

Add the water and salt to the pot. Heat until boiling and then reduce heat to medium and add the butter. Once it is melted, add the pasta. Cook for about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Turn off the heat. Do not drain the pasta. Add the cheese to the pot and mix until the cheese is melted and the remaining liquid is a creamy sauce. Add anything else you want (vegetables, bacon) and serve.

Makes leftovers, but you don’t get good results from cutting the recipe in half.

Omelet:

Crack two eggs and put them in a bowl. Add 15 milliliters water, then a small amount of melted butter. Whip them together until they are mixed (there will be a couple transparent blobs that won’t mix, but that’s fine). Spray a pan with cooking spray and heat the eggs on medium-high heat. While that’s heating up, prepare any ingredients you want to put in. Once the bottom of the eggs are firm and the top is still somewhat runny, add the other ingredients and fold the omelet over. Cook until the inside is firm.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone, I’m going to go make something now.

2 Likes

Let us know what you come up with!

I just did some scrabbled eggs and bacon. Might be able to pick up some milk and other stuff later since I have to go into town anyways to go to the optician. Had a scary thing happen with my eyes and phoned them in a panic and they want me to come in so they can put drops in. But then again I’m also not sure I should go to the shop with how icky I feel so maybe I won’t and will try one of the pasta ideas tonight.

2 Likes

I know it’s no help to you now, but might I suggest getting a few Pot Noodles (or similar type of instant meal by adding hot water). They last for ages, and are really helpful if you haven’t got the energy or inclination to cook.

When the Covid crisis struck, I always made sure that I had at least two weeks worth of food in the house, so I could carry on eating whilst I was quarantined. And when I did get ill, I had more than enough food.

But it turned out what I didn’t have was the energy! Fortunately, a very nice neighbour did get me food (like Pot Noodles) that I could prepare with zero energy.

3 Likes

As for recipe ideas when you have next to no ingredients (or for that matter, on an extremely tight budget), Jack Monroe has loads of recipes.

In light of the current cost of living crisis, she’s putting together a new book of food that can be prepared in a single pan in less than 15 minutes.

3 Likes

Yep. I keep my cupboard stocked with canned veggies, tuna and instant noodles, that way I always have a quick easy meal for days when I have no spoons. Also cans of beans, chips and salsa - nachos make an excellent meal and that stuff keeps for ages. Packet or canned soup also, in winter I like a soup and a toasted cheese sandwich and it takes almost no effort.

Instant noodles though, so versatile. Sometimes I dump in a ton of veggies, sometimes I mix in cheese, etc :yum:

3 Likes

Speaking of “Oh, here’s yet another not normal thing. Great.” I’ve just realised. My dad should not have been showering his ten year old daughter alongside the five and three year old, right?

2 Likes

What? No!

How old were you before you were allowed to shower yourself?!

1 Like

When we moved to this house, so I would have been eleven and a half. Though technically he was mostly supervising that I’d washed all the soap off properly.

1 Like

I was taking baths and showers unsupervised from the age of, um, let’s see, I dropped my Bambi picture book in the bath… probably before seven, then.

2 Likes

Back when me and my dad were still on good terms, he’d convinced me about this idea where I buy a company so we can earn some money because it’s not fair that if he did it it would impact his benefits and then once it was running I’d sell it to him and I’d be one of the employees. But because of the egg donor, instead of using our actual address we used my nan’s address for post, and I forwarded him emails when they came through.

Well, my nan’s sent me a letter. I’ve got some kind of fine because he didn’t do some form I forwarded to him. So now I need to figure out how to close it down before the fines get worse / I get a criminal record. And this is kinda my fault because it is all in my name and my dad did tell me to close it down a while ago and I’d forgotten he’d said that, but I’m still annoyed at being in this situation in the first place.

2 Likes

If it’s anything like here, the government probably only needs a form filling out saying you’re no longer in business. Very likely there will be a website FAQ telling you how to do it and what they need. But closing it might not stop you from getting other fines or notices.

Also, it sounds like a very stressful situation to be in. Hopefully you can unentangle it pretty easily.

2 Likes

Minor grumble. Dad’s off on holiday with his girlfriend (apologies to any Dutch people, he’ll be leaving you in peace in a couple days). They went to a zoo yesterday and sent some photos (first I’d heard from them all week). I didn’t see the point in giving any response to those photos, and apparently neither did my sisters. Honestly I’m a little jealous, even though I wouldn’t have gone with them even if I’d had more than a couple days notice.

So today he sends “Did nobody like the photos?” Maybe I’m reading too much into it because I’m already annoyed at him, but it’s like he’s sulking that we’re not giving him any attention. And I’m just not in the mood for him sulking because I didn’t text him back in the group chat.

1 Like

Do you have a zoo in your area? If so, go to it and match him picture for picture. You saw an elephant? Here’s one at home. Tiger? Here’s two…

…although that is probably needlessly antagonistic but something I would definitely do as I have two zoos nearby!

3 Likes

:joy: maybe another day. Really don’t think I’m going to feel up to spending two hours taking two trains and a bus anythime soon.

1 Like

“It’s a picture of an elephant. Here’s one I found without getting off my backside…”

[Insert pic of choice]

3 Likes

Woke up to my dad shouting at my sister. Went downstairs to ask if she was okay and it turned into yet another argument and was trying to be comforting and hug her but she was still crying so I don’t know think that was effective.

He tried to blame me for him shouting at my sister. Said it was something I’d done that started it. So I asked (well, yelled) why he thought it was okay for him to shout at her over something I did. Never got an answer for that one.

Then he was going on about how nobody cares about his mental health and put on a whiny voice to take the mick out of me and I snapped and yelled at him that he doesn’t know what it’s like to feel like the only reason you haven’t thrown yourself in front of a train is because you don’t want to traumatise the train driver. He yelled back that he understood exactly what that feels like.

I don’t understand how he can act like he does when he claims to understand. I tried asking, just got him talking about how the third lockdown broke him. Then claiming this all stems back to when I was doing my last term of uni and he helped me make a schedule. I think our issues stem a lot further back than that.

I’m just tired.

3 Likes