Christmas Thoughts and Traditions

Now December has hit we can finally say the C-word. And I don’t mean the one that rhymes with grunt. What are your general thoughts (good and bad) about the holiday season?

Also do you have any traditions that you would like to share? Or any that you would like to start but can’t/haven’t yet?

1 Like

a tradition in my family is that a kid hands out one present to each of the people there and they open their presents together. And this rinses and repeats until all the presents are done. This comes from my Mom’s side of the family due to her being on the poorly side.

Another tradition was that if the kids were up first before the parents we would open up our stockings while we waited for the parents to get up. Speaking of stockings due to the maternal grandparents’ place not having a fireplace, and the paternal grandparents’ place not having a traditionally fireplace we put our stockings either (in the maternal grandparents’ home- on the dinning room table which is barley used) or on a coffee table in the basement of the paternal grandparents’ home.

1 Like

currently in these plague times, what we are doing is secret Santa gifts that we all open on camera. we did this last year and we’re doing it again this year both my husband and I have already ordered for our recipients. in the past we didn’t really do much, my husband would buy something small for me and my best friend would bake lots of cookies, but that’s about it, so it almost feels like we are doing more for the holidays now.

1 Like

Just thinking about childhood memories about Christmas makes me very happy and nostalgic.

We celebrated Christmas like most Swedes, meaning non-religious with a lot of food and family time. Most Swedish traditions still have pagan roots :slight_smile:

One of my favorite things:

The 23rd of December is a “uppesittarkväll”, that roughly translates into staying-up-evening. There’s a bingo show running with a lot of entertainment and puzzling and stuff.
Our tree was decorated this night, my siblings and I were the chief decorators. Hanging one decoration earned us one piece of Christmas candy - so it was a lot of running around and stuffing our little kiddy faces with sweets.

At midnight, you wished everyone a merry Christmas (we celebrate on the 24th) and everyone scurried to bed, super excited about the next day.

2 Likes

When we were growing up on Christmas Eve we’d go to church and then we’d drive around and look at the Christmas lights.

My mom loves jigsaw puzzles so this year I made her a puzzle with pics of us growing up.

2 Likes

I wish you all a happy Lucia, may your day be full of saffron buns!

2 Likes

God jul, everyone!

:santa::christmas_tree::gift:

1 Like

takk du også :wink:

1 Like

Boldog Karácsonyt! Kellemes Ünnepeket!

1 Like