Categories: Science Fiction and Fantasy Game

Here’s my take on the Categories game, with a topic of Science Fiction and Fantasy (with some liberties taken by me for what qualifies :wink: )

10 Questions in total, and with plenty of bonus points to be earned. Bonus points will be either in the form of an extra question, or it will be a “Hidden Bonus”. With those, you have to try and second guess what I will be looking for. From question 4 onwards, you’ll have the opportunity to play a joker; more details about that here.

Unless otherwise stated in the question, all answers can be from the books AND from the films/television series (as applicable).

Point of clarification: I will be using the word “actor” with its gender neutral meaning throughout this quiz.

Same rules as before: 5 points for a unique answer, 3 points if two people give the same answer, 1 point if three people give the same answer, 0 points if four or more give the same answer.

Please submit your answers to me in a Private Message.

Questions will be posted at approximately 2200 GMT (give or take an hour or so), beginning Friday 21st January.

Use of Internet searches, Wikipedia, IMDB or similar is permitted

6 Likes

3 Likes

Ooh. This’ll be fun, though I admit I might be at a disadvantage. My interest in sci-fi/fantasy is pretty recent.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about it. The vast majority of the answers can be found by Google, and the ones that aren’t so easy to search for are probably ones you know

I’m going to post the first question early, and I’ll leave it running over the weekend to give as many people as possible the opportunity to join in. Questions 2 and 3 will be released on Saturday and Sunday at the normal time.

Let’s start with a modern-day fantasy… Harry Potter

Question 1: There were a number of Horcruxes throughout the book and film series, and a number of characters who destroyed them. Name any three.

Fine print: You can name three Horcruxes, three Horcrux destroyers, or you can choose two from one and one from the other. If you are choosing from both lists, the destroyers and Horcruxes don’t need to match up. By Horcrux Destroyer, I mean the person wielding the item or casting the spell, NOT the weapon or spell used.

Bonus: There is a hidden bonus point up for grabs.

Reminder: please submit your answers by Private Message to me. For full rules, please see the first post of this thread. If you’re unsure of anything, feel free to ask by posting below or dropping me a private message.

Edited to clarify what Horcrux Destroyer means

4 Likes

submitted

2 Likes

Submitted

2 Likes

Submitted.

2 Likes

Submitted :+1:

2 Likes

Submitted.

2 Likes

Submitted.

1 Like

important

My apologies, but I now realise that the requirement of Horcrux Destroyer was ambiguous, so I’ve edited the original question post. I’m after the PERSON who destroyed the Horcrux, not what they used.

If you’ve not been asked to resubmit your answers, then you can relax, your answer is fine. Another way of checking is see if your message has been liked; as well as being a nice way to spread the love, it’s also used to remind me that I’ve recorded your answer.

4 Likes

I guess I was one of the few who understood you meant the person, being the destoryer not the object

1 Like

Ambiguity is just one of those things that can catch the writer off guard. Most people interpreted it the way I intended it, but the other interpretation (before I clarified what I meant) was equally valid.

I was taught that if someone misunderstands what you said, the fault is with how you said it, not with how they interpreted it.

4 Likes

To be honest, it’s the combination of me being a smartarse combined with an obsessive love, honed by a lifetime of JRPGs, to get every single piece of loot. Or, in this case, the hidden bonus point.

4 Likes

I have a fair few questions with hidden bonus points, and I’m looking forward to watching the second guessing…

1 Like

Submitted.

1 Like

Let’s do a bit of Sci-Fi now… Doctor Who

Question 2: There have been thirteen different Doctors; name three actors who portrayed them.

Fine print: I am looking only at the television series (Classic and New Who) and the 1996 TV movie. Only choose from the official thirteen incarnations, not from any of the Doctor’s extra incarnations. There have also been times where one incarnation has been played by multiple actors; in all those instances, I am looking for the ORIGINAL actor. Speaking of which…

Bonus Question: In the twentieth anniversary special The Five Doctors, which actor replaced one of the Doctors owing to the death of the original actor?

If you haven’t joined this game yet and would like to do so, I am still taking entries for question 1. I’ll be closing entries to new players on Monday at midday GMT. Link to question 1 here

@Celoptra
@AthenaCat
@RebeccaBlue
@Sillsallad
@Murdocku
@ROSE
@CJR
@Jonnie_Madison

1 Like

submitted