Breakfast food - is it really only for mornings?

My partner is weird. He insists that breakfast foods (pancakes, hash browns, omelets, you name it) should only be eaten during the morning, for breakfast or brunch. One of my favorite dinners as a kid was a good seven-pm breakfast! But my partner doesn’t mind leftover pizza or other “dinner” items for a quick breakfast.

Am I being unreasonable for thinking that assigning certain foods to certain times of day is completely arbitrary and silly? I feel like you can’t put a time limit on something as heavenly as biscuits and gravy!

3 Likes

Food is food. You can’t assign food a particular time of day, especially when an ingredient is so versatile. Bacon is a breakfast food but by doing that, you sacrifice the glory of making pasta carbonara when you get home (unless you’re one of the fancy people who keeps pancetta in stock). I have to leave very early in the morning so don’t get time to have a decent breakfast. It’s a real treat to have a full english breakfast for dinner.

5 Likes

You’re not. The idea that some foods are “breakfast” and some aren’t is entirely an arbitrary thing that comes mainly from marketing. After all, “Steak and Eggs” is a thing, even though it uses a different cut of steak than say, Steak Tartare.

1 Like

It’s not purely arbitrary, but it’s cultural!

Food is already a very cultural thing by itself, and defining that a certain food should be consumed at a certain part of the day is clearly a habit / culture choice.
I’m Brazilian, and growing up i used to eat omelets for dinner. Only as an adult I discovered they’re considered “breakfast food” in the US, and it still amuses me that anything with eggs counts as breakfast there.

So, yeah, these things shouldn’t be hard rules. Actually, there shouldn’t be many hard rules about food, except with respect to safety.

6 Likes

I don’t know where you live, but in So Cal, we have a huge number of restaurants that boast that breakfast is available all the hours they are open.

I don’t care if it’s 8:00am, 8:00pm or anywhere in between, my stomach knows it’s breakfast time.

3 Likes

You’d love it in the UK, where restaurants that have All-day breakfasts on their menu is a very common thing.

4 Likes

from 2013-March 2020- one of the meals that Dad would make would be hashbrowns. But I can’t remember the rest of the meals-but I think it was always with sausage.

I don’t eat breakfast-but I do eat leftovers for lunch. Like tomorrow I have leftover quiche to eat from last night’s supper. And if I make pizza I eat leftovers of that. If I made spaghetti and there’s just enough for one person I will make a quick microwave chilli. Speaking of breakfast food-I need to also finish up those waffles in the old freezer downstairs-but I would need to find them first.

1 Like

I think you have different metabolic needs at different times of day, and also, assigning food to a particular meal prevents you from getting greedy and eating it anyway. But I should admit that I don’t eat right, and it shows, so anything I say about food will be questionable. But the way I see it, I know what to do but I don’t do it…

Protein is recommended for breakfast. And “white” meat is preferred to “red” meat. When I found that chilled or frozen chicken burgers were for sale in a bun just ready to be microwaved, I’m, “That’ll do.”

Omelette (mainly eggs) would fit but I don’t think of it as a breakfast food except that you may get it included in “all day breakfast” and I’m not sure which of the premises that supports. You can order “Spanish omelette” at an Indian restaurant if you don’t want to eat Indian.

Processed cereal for breakfast is recommended by operators like Kellogg who sell the stuff for a living. That’s questionable. They also would like you to eat it between meals. That family got their break in questionable quasi-religious health camp activities and this is one of those that caught on. Putting food somewhere else than your mouth is another that remains less popular.

“Cereal” just means plant grain food. Grass seeds essentially. Bread is made from plant grains, too.

3 Likes

That’s one of the things I absolutely love when visiting there. Eggs and bacon + Stuff is dear love of mine but you can’t really find it served in many places here, not even as breakfast item not to mention over the day.

2 Likes

Whaaaaat who doesn’t like brinner??

I mean I understand individual preference, ten people ten colors, but very hearty breakfast food is great for dinner. And personally I rarely like to cook pancakes for breakfast because it takes too long and I sit there hungry!

2 Likes

Also, oatmeal can be done up savory as well as sweet, even with veggies and meats in.

And conversely, a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich needs no excuse at any time of day.

3 Likes

Fun fact: in Germany, pancakes are not considered a breakfast food. So no one would bat an eyelid if you had pancakes in the evening.
And who hasn’t had a quick bowl of cereal for dinner if they haven’t had time to cook?
Food is food. Eat what you like no matter what time of the day it is.

5 Likes

Nope you are correct, we do breakfast for dinner as well. Shoot, every Christmas we do a potluck style meal and last year we all voted, and I was like “let’s shake things up and do breakfast…” We had breakfast. It was awesome. Bacon, sausage, waffles…all the trimmings. Your partner is barbaric. Lol just kidding, but seriously though. He needs to see the finer things in life, waffles in the evening are great lol.

3 Likes

Nothing at all “wrong” with eating traditionally breakfast foods at other times of day. There’s a nice breakfast/brunch/lunch place on my way to work, and I’ll have a ham and cheese omelet for lunch at least once a week.

3 Likes

Nope. We have breakfast for dinner. The funny thing is I prefer it for dinner. lol

3 Likes

not unreasonable at all. for one, some people run on later shifts so their breakfasts are not in the morning. for another, i’m an adult and if i want to have pancakes for dinner i will, and i will stab anyone who tries to take them away from me with my fork. like others have said, therea re restaurants that serve breakfast all day long. because if you want pancakes or waffles or an omelet certainly you should be able to have it no matter what time of day it is.

2 Likes

No food is food and needs to be eaten. Only the government and restaurants care about what time it is when it comes to food

2 Likes

Oh I’m from Texas it’s actually normal to put a fried egg on top of a chicken fried steak

2 Likes

I don’t think traditional breakfast foods can only be eaten at breakfast. If you have a craving for eggs and toast for dinner, then you should have them. My mom often does. I’ve had cereal for dinner or pbj for breakfast on occasion. The important thing is to have soemthing to eat when you’re hungry.

5 Likes

Am I being unreasonable for thinking that assigning certain foods to certain times of day is completely arbitrary and silly?

No, I don’t think so at all.

2 Likes