Books, books, books

I saw a suggestion in the Forums Suggestions thread to have a books forum, for discussing favorites, recommendations, hidden gems, etc. Seeing that no one else started such a topic, I decided to be that someone who starts it. :smiley:

I will start with a recommendation: All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten, by Robert Fulghum. It’s a collection of essays/short stories/musings by Fulghum, full of everyday wisdom and observations about society and the world, told often with a dash of (sometimes self-deprecating) humor. I can very much recommend it for basically anyone.

3 Likes

Great idea, I love books!

I don’t have the time to read leisurely at the moment, but I’m looking forward to new book recommendations from you guys :grin::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’d like to give a shout-out to Neil Gaiman’s Norse Mythology. A selection of Norse mythological stories that give a nice roundup of the genre to the more casual reader.

3 Likes

I understand what you are saying, but I must respectively disagree. For me, this book falls into the on-going denigration of education. The scientists who produced the Covid vaccines didn’t learn how to do that in kindergarten. Those who created the computers that allow us to have this conversation weren’t high school dropouts.

Yes, society could do more to promote kindness, courtesy and respect, but life is much more complicated than that.

If you want to read a book that will lift your spirit, my suggestion would be Coach Wooden and Me: Our 50-year Friendship On and Off the Court by Kareem Abdul Jabbar. It’s beautifully written, funny and moving, and you don’t need to know or care anything about basketball to enjoy it.

1 Like

Of course, you have a right to disagree, but please note that Fulghum doesn’t even pretend that he learned ALL there is to learn, including all kinds of high-level knowledge, in kindergarten; in the 25-year anniversary edition, in Deep Credo, he outright states

“Of course it wasn’t literally all you needed to know. Certainly not. But if you didn’t get this basic stuff to begin with, you and society will pay a heavy price for your failure”.

I don’t feel like he is denigrating education (and I’m very vocal about it when that happens) and have enjoyed Fulghum’s works very much.
In case you haven’t read it yet, you can rest assured that it’s not an anti-educational tirade, but if it’s the title you don’t like, maybe give one of his other collections a chance?

1 Like

There is a couple of books I read that I recommend.

Good omens is a good book, it takes parts of the bible and the antichrist. Its about a demon and an angel that has been on earth the entire time of it and they gotten attach to it, don’t want the world to end.

The Harvest of Samhain. It’s an interesting book, with a mix of fantasy and a little horror. One thing I will say is don’t get attached to certain characters because this book will tear that attachment apart. The book was translated, so I did find some grammar errors in the book. That might be from translating though, so words meaning different things in different languages

1 Like

My first favourite mysteries series as a kid was Tom and Liz Austen mysteries. It’s a series about two siblings who solve mysteries in the 1970s. They’re mostly solve mysteries indepently of each other but in five books (Spirit in the Rain Forest,, Code Red at the Supermall, The Ghost of Luneburg Mansion, and The Treasure of Casa Loma and with their cousins they solve the Ice Diamond Quest the two team up even if Liz gives Tom a scare in the first one), except for four of Liz’s books (Disneyland Hostage, Escape from Big Muddy, and Green Gables Detectives Emily Carr Mystery) the other two Liz’s books have a sort of “Scooby Doo” feel to them. (Vampires of Ottawa which is incidentally how I learned about the Dutch royal family’s connection, and Werewolves of St.Andrew ) But of course her brother’s books outdoes her. And the last book was one of Tom’s “the Red River Ransom” but I think if Mr. Wilson (the author) wanted too-he could have the Austen siblings go to other countries besides just Canadian provies&U.S. (heck Liz has a Japanese friend!)

1 Like