Book Talk - Very old friends

Voyage of the Dawn Treader?

no it was The Enchanted Castle by E.B. Nesbit.

Virtually anything by Diana Wynne Jones. I still don’t understand how Harry Potter became so wildly popular while her (far superior) novels largely didn’t.

1 Like

Ah, right. Might i suggest in future that if you ask a question then have a few words after it, you make it clear that it was an answer, not a description?

1 Like

I still love the Beverly Cleary books. I have them on my Audible.

I’ll have to check them out!

I love the Chrestomanci series by her.

1 Like

the what series?

There is not a Chinese letter in here, so we have to put it in bold so you can read it better?

1 Like

Does anyone know of a book series which I think the main character (a boy) is apprentice to basically I think it was the Grim Reaper? I had the first book but I can’t remember the book name or remember when I read it but I believe it was the first of a series

That sounds like Mort, by Terry Pratchett, unless someone else has had the same idea. Mort isn’t really the first of a series, though, although it’s connected to Pratchett’s other books.

I’m pretty sure I never read any of Terry Pratchett’s books. Since that’s not a name that rings a bell to me

9780590551793.OL.0.m

Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce and the full Immortals Quartet were big favourites of mine at a young age. I still have my original paperbacks but they’ve been read so many times at least two of them are falling apart. I was very excited when she released a prequel recently.

1 Like

Oh god! Yeah I do remember this series, and it wasn’t Mort (which does have the same plot). But I don’t remember the name either.

One of my favorite books as a young child was “Rootie Kazootie and the Pineapple Pies”. My grandparents had a copy of that book that I would get out and read almost every time we went to visit them. After they had both passed away, I discovered that they still had that book, so I was able to get it to keep.

As I got older my tastes turned mostly to mystery series: Encyclopedia Brown, Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, Trixie Belden, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew. And then there were two books that I read when I was around 12 or so, that I found fascinating: “The Missing Persons League” by Frank Bonham, and “But We Are Not of Earth” by Jean E. Karl. I still have my Scholastic Books copies of those, and have read them many times (though not in the last few years…maybe I’ll re-read them this winter).

1 Like

The Cat Who… series by Lilian Jackson Braun. I’ve been reading those since I was 7 years old. I was supposed to get my Mom’s set after she died, but I’m guessing either my oldest sister got them, or my former BIL.

A lot of other books, too, but those in particular.

A couple of other series i remember are:

Little house on the prairie (loved the show too!)
Chronicles of Narnia
Girls of Canby Hall (really wish these were on Kindle!)

1 Like

I love TLHOTP books.

I got my sister a two volume set and borrow it every couple of years. I broke down a few months ago and finally bought Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography and it is fascinating.

1 Like

What shocked me so much was that the books were fictional!

1 Like

It blew my mind.