Book Talk - Very old friends

When I say, very old friends, I’m thinking of books you read as a child. Which books from way back when do you hope today’s kids get to know and love?

My first choices would be Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner.They are gentle, wonderful stories that I re-read every couple of years. They still make me smile.

What are yours?

3 Likes

I mentioned this in the other book thread- but my first favourite series as kid (Nancy Drew is 2nd)- is Tom and Liz Austen Mysteries They’re mostly solve mysteries independently of each other but in five books ( Spirit in the Rain Forest, , Code Red at the Supermall, The Ghost of Luneburg Mansion , and The Treasure of Casa Loma and with their cousins they solve the Ice Diamond Quest the two team up even if Liz gives Tom a scare in the first one), except for four of Liz’s books ( Disneyland Hostage , Escape from Big Muddy , and Green Gables Detectives and Emily Carr Mystery ) the other two Liz’s books have a sort of “Scooby Doo” feel to them. (*Vampires of Ottawa-*which is incidentally how I learned about the Dutch royal family’s connection, and Werewolves of St.Andrew ) But of course her brother’s books outdoes her. And the last book was one of Tom’s “ the Red River Ransom ” but I think if Mr. Wilson (the author) wanted too-he could have the Austen siblings go to other countries besides just Canadian provies&U.S. (heck Liz has a Japanese friend!)

I also read the “Our Canadian Girl” series.

And when I was little older I found a fictional diaries of royal Princess from around the world-from Celoptra VII (ie: the one who supposedly was bitten by a snake to complete suicide) to the “missing” duchess Anastasia (which includes, Eleanor of Aquatine, Elizabeth I, Queen Victoria, Isabelle of Castile, Marie Antoine, among others). My favourite of the series- is the Sondok: Princess of the moon &stars, Koreas). Also about this time I found (or Mom found?) the “Dear Canada diary series”

The magic treehouse. Loved that book series as a kid.

The boxcar children. Even though I had a couple of the books I only remember the 1st one.

The classic goosebumps series.

2 Likes

I remember the Magic tree house and the boxcar children. I wonder if one day the boxcar children will make a reapperence in bookstores. Since Baby-Sitters’ Club, and another dectivie Series (Trixie Belden) have made a reappearance in bookstores recently

I sort of skipped children’s books, I remember reading Stephen King at 8 :sweat_smile:

When I was around 12 I got my hands on “The Legend of the Ice People”-series, I was hooked, I read the complete series trice more or less non-stop, to the point my mum forbade me to read

My brother in law and his wife got our daughter a copy of a Winnie the Pooh collection, and I have a lot of older books that I hope to read to her. Does anyone else remember “The Witch Family”?

1 Like

That rings no bells. I remember one called Little Witch, who just wanted to go to school. . .

1 Like

I have very fond memories of Eric Carle books (The Hungry Caterpillar, Grouchy Ladybug, Brown Bear what do you see). The art style is so unique too, I hope kids enjoy it for generations to come. They’re very fun to read aloud.

2 Likes

The Hungry Caterpillar was a favourite of mine when I was little. Still like it now that I’m big! :slight_smile:

Another fav. was the classic ‘Where the Wild Things Are’. (Still can’t believe people have tried to get that banned. People are idiots!!)

1 Like

I’d read Enid Blyton, Tintin, Asterix and many others. Librarians at the local circulating libraries and the school library, and most local booksellers were commonly frustrated with me - I’d be there daily, if not more than once, during vacations.

My older sister also liked to read my father’s and my uncles’ collection of Perry Mason books. Our reading level was already beyond adult by then, but with a kid’s patience, I never did like to read those cover to cover. Instead, I’d just read the first chapter introducing the main cast, and the last chapter with the reveal. And then once my sister was midway somewhere in the same book, I’d spoil it for her. Or extort her to not spoil the book. And once I got my bribe, spoil it anyways.

And she let you live? Why?

1 Like

Let’s just say she got her vengeance during school days. I’d be sitting doing homework, unable to leave until all of it was complete, while she would watch TV on loud getting entertained more by my discomfort than whatever was on screen.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I still remember The Babysitters’ Club fondly, would love to see kids still reading it.
Also Little Women, The Boxcar Children and Nancy Drew.
A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L’Engle was good.
Celoptra reminded me of the American Girl books, I guess the equivalent of her Canadian series. I had many of them collected, but I’m pretty sure I missed more.

1 Like

Roald Dahl is great, I loved both Witches and Matilda as a kid.

1 Like

I only read the Chronicles of Prydain once, but I still remember it. I should probably re-read it, I’m sure it stands up a lot better than many of the other books I read: Little House on the Prairie, Nancy Drew, the Bobbsey Twins, the Witch World books, and pretty much every word written by Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Alan Dean Foster, Zenna Henderson, and James H. Schmitz.

1 Like

I remember reading Flowers in the Attic as a teenager and recently rediscovered the series in Storytel. Listening to the first book right now… It is…weird…

There was a book series which was centered around a unicorn or a group of unicorns?. I can’t remember anything but the bad guy in one of the books the bad guy (Whom apparently is MC girl’s uncle) meets with her mother who doesn’t know about MC’s journey in the Land of Unicorns. I think the book series was the Unicorn Fantasy series.

and another series which didn’t have anything to do with unicorns I think was called the Jewel Kingdom series? About four princesses who ruled different parents of the Jeweled Kingdom.

Percy Jackson for me I loved that series

1 Like