Blind laywer's fights with Toronto's Commuter transit companies

Due to today’s disability story on NAR. I just thought of explaing why I mentioned in a comment about Subway/Underground/Tube/Metro stations needing walls. As I said on the story its to keep blind people safe.

Toronto Subway History:
The Toronto Subway (TTC) are only 68 years old since they opened in 1954. By the time I was 6 in 1996 that 44 stations had elevators in them. TTC is planning on having all their subway stations to have elevators by 2025.

Person History (the two are connected in the story)
David Lepofsky is a blind lawyer whom is also a disability advocate and is the head of the Ontario Disability collation. He stands up for disabled people like himself and others.

Now into the actual story part
Some years ago TTC was going to be building a new subway station and despite David Lepofsky and other disablity advocates saying that the subway station need a wall for blind folks the TTC build the new subway stations without a wall and the platform is in the middle of the staton. But without the wall there is no “shoreline” for people whom are blind or have low vision. (Note: that something I didn’t really understand back in 2007 but I understand much better because of Molly Burke). And that’s not the only problem that Mr. Lepofsky has with TTC. One station only has an elevator at one entrance and that elevator’s braille is mislabelled badly. Like the one button for “underground” is labeled “main” (which is where you enter into the elevator). There are also other problems that David Lepofsky had with the both of the Metrolinx owned companies (TTC and the GO train the latter being the one a commuter train).

Today’s NAR story which inspired this conversation Their Argument Has No Leg To Stand On

Might i suggest a link to the story?

I have immense respect for blind people getting around on their own. I don’t know if this is common in other places, but in The Netherlands, there are places where the sidewalks have a row of special tiles with ribs in them for blind people. They can feel the ribs with their canes or feet.

I walked somewhere once where that row of tiles ran directly into the glass wall of a busstop. Called the city and they really didn’t seem to care or even understand why that could be a problem. . .

The Not Always Story? And I added it to the OP

1 Like

The edges of the Go Station platforms and TTC platforms have them as do most of newer sidewalk curbs have what I believe you’re talking about
Go Station platform
![Allandale Waterfront View Looking East|375x500]

TTC platform
(upload://j2w4RUaoUUxW0zj6LDT7HGwga3f.jpeg)

sidewalk bump
100812_domes_400

Seriously it would be nice if people in charge of the town/city would try to see about problems for the disabled communities in there town.

Mom and I sent in two surveys to our town about disability problems in town back in April. (ironically I only ever found the survey in the first place when I was trying to find a picture of the town’s rec pool) since there’s a lot of problems in regards to our town. Like when they’re fixing a street fixed which leads to my church- they put the stop sign smack right in the middle of the sidewalk so an accident waiting to happen.

The two most local traffic lights the one near my town’s one senior centre and the park and the other one near the Grocery Store plaza are way too short for people in wheelchairs, or scooters or even on foot compared to all the traffic lights from between two streets I had to travel Via bus to get to another bus during my college day (one summer Mom and I walked all that way down).

My Dad doesn’t think anything will come of it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.