Best stories of 2022

Hope no one minds me getting ahead of the game here. Just in case the editors would like our input for best stories of the month/2022, I thought it might be an idea to start putting the stand-out stories up as they get posted. It would be a shame if these earlier ones get missed because we’d forgotten them!

To start things off, I just love this one:

5 Likes

I liked the story with the Klingons but I think that was 2021?

2 Likes

This one?

Yeah, it was the 29th December.

4 Likes

I think they should allow any and all stories released since the week before the annual lists are created. Otherwise, stories released in late December after the lists are out will never get a chance to be counted, no matter how good they are.

4 Likes

I think lists of certain years should never be made before the year is over. That’s better then making a list of ‘the best of the first 50 weeks of year xx’ or ‘the best of the last 2 weeks of year xx and the first 50 weeks of year yy’

3 Likes

I quite like the as-of-now newest NaR story.

…and this one as well.

3 Likes

Pretty much all awards do that, right? There’s an eligibility window in which your content should have been released, which ends before they start their process, and the end of that cycle is the start of the next cycle.

1 Like

Still, pretty stupid to have ‘best of 2021’ while that year isn’t over yet.

Example: The sportsman and sportswoman of the year in the Netherlands are declared 22 december of that year. Some sports actually continue after that. If someone does the impossible in the last week of the year, and retires, s/he never played in 2022, how can you be sportsperson of 2022 when you didn’t even play anymore?

I think the point here is to ensure that every story published on the site should have a chance to be added to the ‘best of’ lists. Whether we do it by delaying releasing those lists or by having a set series of eligibility periods, doesn’t matter. Every story should be counted. Based on the current ‘criteria’, stories released between 20th Dec 2021 (When the roundups started) and 31st Dec won’t be counted - and as shown above there are good ones there too.

May I just remind everyone that I’m not a member of NAR staff, and I have no idea what criteria they use for selecting the stories. I don’t even know if the staff will be referring to this thread for any of the monthly or annual round ups. I started this thread as last year We were asked quite late on in the year (admittedly this forum didn’t exist last January) to nominate stories, but I’d forgotten loads of the earlier ones. By posting this now we’re more likely to get those recorded Now for later

I would suggest that if there was a story posted since the last round up but before 2020 you think should be included, you post it here anyway? You never know, it might get chosen anyway!

2 Likes

I like this NaW story.

3 Likes

I didn’t feel this one was special myself. But it wasn’t bad either.

I like it for its sheer “what are the odds?” coincidence factor.

1 Like