Best baking/cooking recipes

Post links to some of the the best homemade recipes you’ve had, and pictures if you have them.
I’ll start:
Pumpkin bars:

My spliced-together smores cake:
Chocolate layer: 8 inch round chocolate cake | Created by Diane
Smores layer (make 1/3 of cake recipe for one layer of cake, don’t use this frosting): 8 inch round chocolate cake | Created by Diane 1/3 recipe measurements are as follows:
-1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs
-1 5/8 tsp baking powder
-1/3 tsp salt
-2 eggs
-2/3 cups granulated sugar
-2/3 of 1 (4 oz) stick of butter
-5/8 tsp vanilla extract
-1/3 cup, 1 tbsp, and 1 tsp whole milk
And lastly, the marshmallow frosting:
Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting Recipe | Allrecipes
I used these smores-flavored meltables for the optional drip: Sweet Tooth Fairy® S'mores Meltables™ | Michaels

Fruit salad: (not a baked good but too delicious to not share) Easy Fruit Salad Recipe - How to Make Fruit Salad

3 Likes

Omg. Those pumpkin bars look AMAZING! Nomnomnom. And get out of my head. I was just thinking we need a recipe thread. And the cake also.

2 Likes

My partner requests this for his birthday rather than cake. I’ve taken it to get togethers with friends and it doesn’t even last 20 minutes.

This recipe is great when you want to wow your guests:

If you want something savory and not sweet:

4 Likes

Ok here’s a favorite cheesecake recipe of ours. Super easy and bite sized for portion control.

Here’s a chicken croquettes recipe that even my picky mil requests and salivates over when I make it.

4 Likes

My best pie crust recipe, for a 9-in fruit/sweet pie with a top:

Preheat the oven to 425

Add 3 cups flour, 3 sticks of butter (the colder the better, 1 stick=8Tbsp), 1Tbsp sugar, and a pinch of salt together in a food processor until butter is in small diced chunks, and well mixed.
Slowly add 1/3 to a 1/2 cup water until the mixture just barely holds together. Make sure not to over mix the dough, you want some little chunks of butter still in it.
Stick the dough into the fridge for about 10 minutes to chill.

Separate out about 1/2 to 2/3 of the dough. Roll it out with lots of flour. If you’ve done it right, it should be a little bit difficult to do, as it is still quite dry, so keep picking up bits that fall off and rolling them out again. When you have the bottom crust rolled out, fold it over once and roll it out again, to ensure maximum flakiness. Then place the crust into the pie pan, being sure that it reaches down in the cracks. Don’t worry if it breaks in parts: fill the cracks with more dough and it should be fine.

Add the filling to the pie.

Top crust:
If making a lattice crust for the top (best with cherries), roll out your top crust the same way you rolled the bottom, then cut into thin strips. Begin to lay them out over the pie, being careful not to seal them to the bottom until you have placed all of them, so that you can lift them up and interweave them. Once they are all on the pie, press the edges into the bottom edges to ensure they seal.

If making a full top crust (my go to for apple pie), simply roll out the top and then place it over the pie, pressing the edges together to seal. Then, you need to score the top to allow steam to exit the filling. I usually try to do designs, but just straight lines are also fine. Just make sure there are plenty of them: it’s better to have more than enough than too few.

Finally, baking:
Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 400 for another 25-30. Watch the pie carefully for signs that the crust is burning, if so turn down the heat even more, and bake for slightly longer. It also helps to spin the pie around in the oven half way through to allow for even baking, though you don’t want to open the oven more than once because of the heat loss. The crust should be golden brown when done.
Sprinkle some coarse sugar over the top, and enjoy a deliciously flaky desert.

3 Likes

I’m making these tonight: Angela's Awesome Enchiladas Recipe | Allrecipes
I also ALWAYS ask for orange cheesecake for my birthday, but I can’t find the recipe, I’d have to scan it in lol.

4 Likes

These are absolutely delicious and always sold well when I brought them to bake sales.

4 Likes

This is my go to muffin recipe base. I change the yogurt flavor based on what type of muffin I’m making. If I’m making blueberry muffins I use blueberry yogurt or peach muffins I use peach yogurt.