Badges?

Just noticed about this new badges thingy in the comment section. Can anyone explain what it is ?

2 Likes

Think of it as Achievements in a game. Fill in your profile? Get an achievement. Do the forum tutorial? Get an achievement. And so on…

4 Likes

Is it wrong that I want to try for the full set? Not sure what the criteria is for the manually awarded ones are.

I wonder if it is possible to nominate others for them? I can think of several people who deserve them!

3 Likes

Completionist in me wants the full set too. Think I missed out on an early tutorial badge because I knew how to use a forum and didn’t do it. Or know about the badges at that point.

2 Likes

I’m a completionist too, that’s why I’m not even looking at the badges, it would make it stressful for me :laughing:

2 Likes

Wait… is this about the forum or the Disqus badges? I suppose the Disqus ones, as those have the manual ones, but CJR’s comment about forum tutorial makes me think of the forum badges.

2 Likes

I’m trying to ignore the existence of both

3 Likes

I’m not sure I like the included-on-every-post nature of the Disqus comment-system badges; that’s going to get kind of messy-looking on every post when someone has a lot of them, and as people can include some symbols in their usernames, it might sometimes get confusing. I personally prefer the look-for-them-if-you-care-to nature of the forum ones.

6 Likes

too bad that there isn’t a badge on the comment section for NAR archvists /s

2 Likes

Agreed on all points. I already find them somewhat distracting, with only a few posters having 1-2 of them.

5 Likes

I assume that he meant the forum badges. Not a member of Disqus so didn’t know about their badge system.

Either way, I am not on a quest to be the best forumite. This isn’t Pokémon and I don’t need to know why Gary M’Fing Oak has ten whilst I can only get eight.

1 Like

I see you’ve got the icebreaker badge, one of the manually awarded ones, so well done for that! Do you know what the criteria was for it?

edited because of autocarrot

1 Like

No idea! I can guess what your “Side-Splitter” one was for, though. :grin:

3 Likes

Look, it was Christmas and I literally ate too much. Goodness only knows how the editors found out!

5 Likes

I suspect I got the Icebreaker badge because of what would happen if I tried crossing the Antarctic.

As I said, I ate too much…

Joking aside, I wonder what the criteria is for the manually awarded badges?

But whatever it is… THANK YOU!!! :blush:

1 Like

@Jarvis posted a link on NAR to the help page which lists all the criteria for the badges (thank you!)

The three manually awarded ones are for:

NAR Advocate (manually awarded): Awarded to commenters who generally help/guide others, and help move conversations forward in a civil manner, while upholding NAR values.

Side-Splitter (manually awarded): Awarded to commenters who tend to comment with (appropriate) jokes, puns, humor, etc.

Ice-Breaker (manually awarded): Commenters who tend to post the first comment in a story which promotes discussion.

Am I reading too much in to it that “puns” is listed separately to “jokes” and “humour”? :laughing:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.