Bad program leaders?

I normally go to a Mental health/social program four different times with the program I had lack of commutation with them.

A typical normal day at the program would be something in the morning-a workshop maybe, or someone doing a presentation- sometimes we also would make a future calendar. A example of a presentation is my ASL presentation. Then we would have lunch that was decided on a couple of months previously (mini pizzas, stir-fry, potlucks). And then do something else in the afternoon.

Account 1:

Background:
Because I take the bus to get over there and back-I sometimes didn’t go to the program if it was very cold or very icy. In this first account that at the time, the room’s phone weren’t hooked up to the apartment building so the only way to get inside was a half of a sandwich board with a “doorbell” which we had to ring. Which is set up against the side window of a door.

Actually story:

One year I didn’t go to the program on the Monday in February because it was frostbite weather. So when I was going to go back to the program on the Thursday. At first I was a bit confused of why there wasn’t the “doorbell” stand but then I discovered that program was cancelled due to a pipe bursting in the then new office area. I had no idea about that. I was a bit upset since I had no idea what to do but I figured it out eventually managed to get a bus back home and called the house from my church.

Account 2:
Background:
Now there’s three leaders in the program from various agencies in community. One leader position keeps changing every 2-3 years. So in my head I think of it was “cursed” like a class from Harry Potter. One of the leaders, Let’s call her “B”. I’m not a major fan of. Sometimes it seems like she’s picking on me.

**Now going back to the calendar thing I mentioned above-sometimes we would have “field trips” to some place: ROM-Royal Ontario Museum, Ripley’s Aquarium, the Zoo, or to a Blue Jays Game-I been to three thanks to day-program. **

** Now for the Ripley’s Aquarium visit and the first of the BlueJays game I went too- our “sister program” in my town made lunches for us. But the other trips we had to either bring our own lunch or buy something there.**

Actually story:
Another year- 2015 I was doing two programs-this program, and I also doing a “work” program (which I consider now a waste of my time)- which took up my Thursday time which I would normally be at this program

Anyway for March 2015 we were planning on going to the ROM. Now I have a VERY Good memory recall-and for weeks prior to going to the ROM (it would be on the Monday so I could go as well)-the leaders were saying “that they will deal with lunches” but then like about 2-3 weeks before the leaders are still saying they “will deal with lunches but they also have a meeting”.

But I show up there on the Monday and get very confused about there being no lunches. Leader “B” said “We told you that you needed to bring your own lunch or buy something at ROM”.

But I discovered latter on the trip, that they only started saying that on Wednesday prior and since I never go to program on Wednesday how was I suppose to know? I’m so grateful, I had a bank card by that time.

Account 3:
March 2019-it’s Monday of March Break and my day-program is supposed to have a potluck on this day. Anyway, Mom and Dad had an appointment at the doctors so couldn’t hang around after dropping me off at the program building.

The plan was mom and Dad would drop me off at the program, I would enjoy the program and the potluck, and then they would pick me up later and we would go see a movie at the theatre.

So I’m carrying a backpack, potluck cake Mom made, and a plastic bag of containers for the coffeegrinds (I was collecting them from the Program’s urn), and have just been dropped off. I spot something on the notice board…

The pot luck event has been cancelled; water has been turned off. I turned around to go back to the car but the car was pulling away and the car was too far away for me to flag down. I was so upset I couldn’t even remember the name of the doctor’s clinic although I could remember the roads it was on. My phone didn’t have Internet access so I couldn’t get the number, and neither of my parents had a phone with them.

I was very upset, and went next door to the grocery store. One woman manager asked me what was wrong and just suggested I go to the town’s library. Unfortunately I did not know where the library was, and in any case I had too much heavy stuff to carry.

Another manager, a man asked me what was wrong and used his cell phone to look up some doctor’s offices in the area. After a couple of tries, I got the right one, and the receptionist said she would tell my parents at the right clinic.

Unfortunately, because I was so stressed and upset, I forgot to say I was at the store, not the Program Venue. I was very lucky that Dad did find me as he had to drive past the building again.

All of this stress could have been avoided if the Program Staff had rung everybody before hand!

Account 4:
Background: In normal summers there’s four picnics at the lakeside Rotary Park in (town). I can only attend 3 of them out of the four: June, August and the last one in Sept. I don’t go to the July one since I’m normally helping with Bible Camp that week.

Actually Story
The last time was late July 2020. They said they’re thinking of having a outside get together at their Rotary park (my town also has one) in the first week of August. I sent back some questions and I never got a reply (questions like “what day is it?” and “Do we need to bring food?” etc)

Well I assumed it would be on the Thursday-since Monday of that first week was a holiday. Turn out it was on the Friday, and no one showed up because we normally never have anything on the Fridays (get together at the Tim Hortons restaurant aren’t really associated with the program)

And the one leader “claimed” to have only certain spots avaible but they never said any thing about how many people could “sign up” in the original email.

1 Like

I’m not intending this to be a criticism of your writing but a friendly suggestion, so please don’t take this personally. Could you please use smaller paragraphs? When viewing on a small screen, such as my mobile, I am presented with an enormous wall of text which makes it almost unreadable.

Another suggestion: when you are writing about several accounts, it would be better to provide the relevant background at the start of the appropriate accounts, rather than all at the start on one hit.

The problem with doing it the way you did is all the background information comes across as a mass of disconnected sentences. The result is it makes it hard to retain any information, so by the time you need that information, you’ve long since forgotten it and have to spend a minute or two trying to see if the information needed was written previously in the wall of text. And then another minute or two trying to find where you were before the hunt.

It took me a few read throughs to get the gist of what you were saying, but I persisted because clearly you feel strongly about it and you did make the effort in writing all this. I apologise if I have missed any of the issues you wanted to complain about, but yes: if they have a last minute change of program or cancel it outright, they do need to make the effort to let everyone know. And if it means stationing someone outside the venue to catch those they couldn’t tell before, then so be it.

1 Like

I agree with Stephen. Your initial paragraph is 15 lines long (on PC). When I see paragraphs that long, I tend to just move on to the next thread.

My suggestion would be to break them up into paragraphs much much much smaller. Obviously it’d make your post longer, but it also helps with readability :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Stephen and @Snowy so you mean the information about “Field trips” being with the ROM account? But where do I put about the leaders? Since that’s also important for all 4 stories. But the “B” leader is important for at least the ROM story.

Does the post makes more sense now? I tried to put it into smaller paragraphs.

To be perfectly frank, I have no real understanding of where everything relates within the different stories, so I can’t answer that for you.

If I were writing it, I would consider splitting these off into separate threads. There is more than enough material there. Maybe if there was a mini story I might pair it with a similar one, if it doesn’t disrupt the narrative.

But if I absolutely had to write it all in one, I would do it this way:

Brief paragraph to introduce reader that this has (let’s say) four incidents relating to one organisation and the staff.

Brief background to understand incident one. IMPORTANT: NO ASIDES OR BACKGROUND NEEDED FOR OTHER INCIDENTS

Story about incident one.

Brief background to understand incident two. IMPORTANT: NO ASIDES OR BACKGROUND NEEDED FOR OTHER INCIDENTS. If background from previous story is also relevant, you probably won’t need to repeat it.

Story about incident two.

Brief background to understand incident three. IMPORTANT: NO ASIDES OR BACKGROUND NEEDED FOR OTHER INCIDENTS. If background from previous stories is also relevant, you probably won’t need to repeat it.

Story about incident three.

Brief background to understand incident four. IMPORTANT: NO ASIDES OR BACKGROUND NEEDED FOR OTHER INCIDENTS. If background from previous stories is also relevant, you probably won’t need to repeat it.

Story about incident four.

Finish with, if appropriate, your final thoughts.

the only thing all four had in common was the lack of communication to people. Including me. That’s the only theme it had. And in the first 2 times- I started to push for a “Telephone/email” tree. Or I think that’s what its called?

To carry on with posting multiple incidents in one post, you also need to consider the order.

If understanding how the problems of the organisation is important to appreciate the problems with the staff, then you should consider writing about the organisation incidents first.

If understanding the problems with the staff is essential to understanding the problems with the organisation, then consider writing about the staff incidents first.

However, if the two are so intertwined that it is impossible to separate the two, then consider writing the incidents on chronological order, starting with the earliest. That will automatically help with giving the overall story a sense of understandable narrative and structure.

I see you’ve edited the story, and already it’s a LOT easier to read. It’s also easier to see things that aren’t needed, or need editing.

For example, who is Tim Horton, and why do I need to know about what he does or does not do? Is it necessary to mention him at all? I’d he even a person? Remember, not all your readers are from Canada.

It took me a while, but I finally worked out DADA was Defence Against the Dark Arts. Yes, I can see what you’re trying to say here, and knowledge about Harry Potter is widespread, but where you have something that is extremely long, asides like this can be a distraction and may be better removing.

Other things: is it necessary to explain exactly what your parents are off to do, where they are going, and how it relates to another topic about bus drivers? Would your account be just as understandable if you said something like “my parents dropped me off, but couldn’t hang around as they had an appointment they had to meet elsewhere”?

But I shall say your edits are a massive improvement, and hopefully people will read it now.

well the T&G street is important in that story because it’s was the ONLY thing I could remember about the “new doctor’s office”. I couldn’t even remember the name of the doctor-all I could remember was the street names.

Tim Hortons isn’t a person (well he WAS a person but both founders are both dead now- but the Tim Hortons social means a social at the coffee restaurant which bares (famous hockey player)'s name.

Is it really necessary to mention G&T Street at all?

March 2019-it’s Monday of March Break and my day-program is supposed to have a potluck on this day. Anyway, Mom and Dad had an appointment at the doctors so couldn’t hang around after dropping me off at the program building.
The plan was mom and Dad would drop me off at the program, I would enjoy the program and the potluck, and then they would pick me up later and we would go see a movie at the theatre.

So I’m carrying a backpack, potluck cake Mom made, and a plastic bag of containers for the coffeegrinds (I was collecting them from the Program’s urn), and have just been dropped off. Just as my parents pull away, quite by chance I spot something on the notice board…

The pot luck event has been cancelled; water has been turned off.

By the time I had dashed back to the road, the car was too far away for me to flag down. I was so upset I couldn’t even remember the name of the doctor’s surgery, although I could remember the road it was on. My phone didn’t have Internet access so I couldn’t get the number, and neither of my parents had a phone with them.

I was very upset, and went next door to the grocery store. One woman manager asked me what was wrong and just suggested I go to the town’s library. Unfortunately I did not know where the library was, and in any case I had too much heavy stuff to carry.

Another manager, a man asked me what was wrong and used his cell phone to look up some doctor’s offices in the area. After a couple of tries, I got the right one, and the receptionist said she would tell my parents.

Unfortunately, because I was so stressed and upset, I forgot to say I was at the store, not the Program Venue. I was very lucky that Dad did find me as he had to drive past the building again.

All of this stress could have been avoided if the Program Staff had rung everybody before hand!

I had a go at rewriting that particular account removing what I see to be unnecessary information. The exact sequence of events is not quite the same, but I think it is close enough. I don’t think it’s necessary to know about the building work, the name of the street, the exact route your dad had to take because of the building work. It’s enough to know that he isn’t where you are.

Feel free to use, adjust or ignore the changes!

1 Like

I made separate threads and also tried to update this one.

1 Like