AIU for being hurt

I write. It’s something that has always brought me joy. I stopped writing for a while because of illnesses and such. Recently something set the spark again and I began to write. I only have less than a dozen friends both irl and online combined. 8 of them asked to be put on a list and kept up to date on the story.

In the last three days I have been chewed out by one person and told to never contact them again because the story is not Christian, its a fantasy about Faeries… They knew this. I have also been told by three other so called friends not to talk to them until they talk to me. Yet I am the one being unreasonable when I asked why and they said I was being annoying… by talking to them once a day for less than a few minutes about something they asked me to keep them up to date on.

It hurt enough I almost considered just deleting everything but I’m going to keep writing. Even if I’m the only one who reads it.

7 Likes

You are not at all unreasonable.

:people_hugging:

6 Likes

Thanks. Just feels like maybe I am since it’s more than one. Apparently enjoying something and wanting to share it with people who asked to be included, is too much for some people.

4 Likes

Well, they have told you loud and clear that they aren’t really interested in your writing after all. Perhaps they were making polite noises, not expecting to actually see anything. Perhaps they weren’t really paying attention when you described the kind of writing you were planning. Definitely disappointing, to put it mildly,

So, cut them out of the loop, but keep writing.

I sometimes joke that when I eventually finish one of my stories, I will post it on AO3 and hope nobody reads it. I’m just writing to try to entertain myself, and scratch a very particular fan fiction itch—currently AO3 has exactly one story in the fandom that interests me.

6 Likes

yea, it’s just discouraging. My problem is always losing motivation halfway through a story. Never seem to finish them. This one though is a sorta fanfiction? Based off a tabletop (not DND) game character I have had for the last 25 years. I tend to write better when I know it is entertaining someone else or have someone to bounce ideas off of.

6 Likes

Don’t let them get you down. You’ve got the right attitude. I’ve been writing fanfiction for a long time, and though I think over the years, I’ve developed a thicker skin, it still stings when someone leaves negative feedback. Even if the feedback sometimes translates out to, “Turns out I’m not your intended audience. I ignored your summary and tags that told me who you were writing for, and I’m mad that I gave it a shot anyway and it wasn’t my cup of tea.” I do (eventually!) shrug it off, but that takes time.

Hope your story reaches the right (appreciative!) audience!

6 Likes

Thanks. I have written, and published before. Sold only 50 copies before I pulled it back off amazon because they were messing with me. My online published story is pretty raunchy but this one is much more serious, and not a romance for a change. I need thicker skin unfortunately. I am trying to shrug it off (as you said, Eventually!). At least I’m in the right mood for the fight scene I need to write next!

6 Likes

That’s the spirit! :+1: :writing_hand:

3 Likes

Unless there’s something upsetting in the chapters you’re sending them or they’re upset at you for some other reason and you’re continuing to talk to them about this one thing, that’s a really weird way for them to react.

3 Likes

to my knowledge there is nothing in the chapters that should have upset them and I only sent them 1 message a day, less than a few lines along with the chapter. As this sites existence has proven, people are not always reasonable I suppose.

2 Likes

You’re sending them a chapter every day?

1 Like

1 message a day, chapter every other day. Only been doing this project 6 days so three chapters at this point. Which is why I was baffled by their reactions.

1 Like

3-4 chapters a week could still be a bit much for them. Even if they want to read it, they might have busy schedules that don’t allow them the time to sit down and read. Especially if you’re asking for feedback, which means they need to focus on the chapter and not just give it a casual read-through.

What do you say to them in your messages?

Just ask how they and their families are, say here’s what I wrote, get back to me when you can.
If it is too much, too often, the polite thing to do would be to say ‘Hey can you send it once a week instead?’ not to call names and insult.

1 Like

Definitely. ‘Happy to see you’ve written a new chapter, sorry to say that I won’t be able to read it for a while.”

1 Like

Exactly.

You aren’t being unreasonable - a polite message that they were no longer interested or the volume of messages was more than they expected would have been a kinder response on their part. Having a patreon, a private blog or a newsletter of some kind attached to a site for your writing might be something to think about in the future.

3 Likes

If I get that far, this was just something among friends as they knew the character involved. (As said, have had it for more than 20 years. its a well known figure among my circle of friends). If I manage to finish this saga I may well look into that. Thank you.

2 Likes

Would you be willing to share your work with some of us?

1 Like

I would however my only currently available work is a rather raunchy piece that would likely get me banned here. It’s a m/m adult serial story I had to end somewhat hastily. If you mean the new one, once I get closer to done I would not mind a few excerpts being shared. I assure you, I probably hit 90% of the gamer and adventure tropes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes