Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The best of our most recent stories!

Happiness And Joy Can Come From The Most Unexpected Places

, , , , , | Right | April 23, 2024

We have a coworker who is neurodivergent. He’s worked for the store longer than almost anyone else save a few managers, and he is known for keeping the fresh fruit and vegetable sections looking like works of art.

[Coworker] doesn’t interact with the customers too often due to some social anxieties and other factors, so he comes in very early at the same time as the produce shipments and makes sure the displays are perfect (and I do mean perfect) with minimal customer overlap. His shift is usually over only an hour or so after we start letting in customers.

Something happens with [Coworker]’s family, and he has to take two weeks off for it. He’s not too happy with this, as he is comforted greatly by his routine, but we’ve all been encouraging him how great he’s been doing in “trying new things” lately, and he can tell us all about his trip when he gets back.

Coworker: “Oh, no, that’s not what I am worried about. I’m worried about the displays. I have a specific way I make the apple pyramids, and it looks better when the cucumbers are stacked diagonal, not to mention—” 

Manager: “[Coworker], while I know for a fact that no one can do that better than you, we’ll find a way to manage without you, I promise.”

[Coworker] goes on his trip, and while we make our best effort, we can’t make the fruit and vegetable displays look as amazing as he does. It gets to the point where it’s noticed by the customers, and I have a variation of this conversation multiple times.

Customer #1: “Oh, your fruit displays aren’t as neat as they usually are. I know it’s a little thing, but it always makes my day when I can tell someone has made a conscious decision to stack the loose carrots by size. These things go noticed, you know!”

Me: “I’m glad you noticed, and yes, our regular stocker is off for the next two weeks.”

Customer #1: “Oh! Nothing bad, I hope?”

Me: “Not that I am aware, but I do know he’s looking forward to coming back to work to make the displays all pretty again!” 

After the two weeks are up, [Coworker] returns to work, and within a day, the displays are back to the perfect standards he is known for. This time, the regulars have noticed, and in that small window when [Coworker] and the customers are in the store at the same time, variations of the following conversation occur.

Customer #2: “Excuse me. Are you the man who puts out the fruits and vegetables?” 

Coworker: “Uh… yes. I am.”

Customer #2: “You do such a wonderful job! You were missed when you were away! You can tell they did their best in your absence, and I know it’s only a silly little thing, but it really is joyous to see how much care you put into your work! Now that I know it’s you, I simply had to thank you.”

Coworker: “Oh… uh… you’re welcome.”

Rinse and repeat to the point where, the next time I see [Coworker] in the break room:

Coworker: “I had to go away for two weeks because my grandad died. My mum was there, and she told me that I wasn’t going to ever make anyone happy in my life. But since I got back, I’ve been told that I’ve made six complete strangers very happy.”

Me: “Oh, my. I’m sorry about your mum, but I am glad you made some people happy.”

Coworker: “I think I am going to try some new designs with the cabbages tomorrow. That will show them!” 

Our manager has since promoted [Coworker] to the head of the produce department, and he’s developed several regulars who are “fans”. He even hangs around a little longer at the end of his shift instead of leaving immediately to talk to them.

The displays have only gotten better and better.

The Customer Wants Gas But Is Full Of Hot Air

, , , , | Right | April 23, 2024

Customer: “I need gas.”

Me: “How much, and what pump for you today?”

Customer: “I need to fill up out there! What the f*** do you think?!”

He just points at the window and makes no attempts to be specific.

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but here at [Gas Station Chain], we need to start with an amount when you pay inside, and also, which one was it again?”

Customer: “I just need to f****** fill it, g**d*** it! It’s the white truck out there! F****** bulls*** town.”

Me: “We could start the number a little high; whatever you don’t use, it puts right back on the card when you hang it up. And which white truck is it?”

Customer: “It’s right f****** there. Are you r****ded? Fine, put eighty on there.”

At this point, through the process of elimination, I have figured out which truck is his, and I proceed so I can get him out of the way.

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, it appears your card has been declined. We can set it up again in case it was just a wrong PIN.”

Customer: “You pieces of s***. I come here all the time!”

In four years, I’ve never seen him.

Customer: “I know the owner!”

The president of the large corporate company is over two thousand miles away; I think I’m in the clear.

Customer: “Here! Just put twenty in cash on there! Can you f****** do that?!”

Me: “Absolutely, sir. You have yourself a fine day now.”

At this point, I attempt to wash myself of this man, but the jacka** has other plans. He pushes past my other customers, physically almost slams into the door, angrily sets up the pump, and then proceeds to think he’s gonna smoke a f****** cigarette at the pump.

I immediately hit the hard stop, go to the intercom, look straight out at him, and begin shaking my head, waving my finger, going, “Ah, ah, ah,” just like the guy from “Jurassic Park”.

Fuming, he comes back to try and lay into me, but my boss is there, and she has witnessed the entire thing.

Boss: *To me* “Go in the back.”

Customer: “What the f*** is your guy’s problem?! That little piece of s*** needs to come out here! I’ll kick his f****** a**!”

Boss: “Did you just threaten my employee?! What gives you the nerve? Do I need to call the cops? Get the f*** out of my store!”

The customer was both fuming angry and white as a sheet as he pivoted and went straight out the door. My boss immediately went and saved the camera footage for the inevitable Human Resources call, but it never came.

I Say Yes, You Say No, And Then The Manager Shows Up

, , , , , , , , | Working | April 23, 2024

My long-term boyfriend proposed to me and, of course, I was over the moon. It was all super romantic and sticky.

Work: “Well, we don’t think you can get a day off.”

Me: “Why? I’m asking six months in advance, and I need a day off. It’s for a wedding, and it’s mine.”

Work: “If you wanted days not previously specified, you must ask a year in advance. Why didn’t you?”

Me: “I didn’t know I was getting married!”

Work: “Why not?”

Me: “My fiance asked me in December, and I told you the day we were back from holidays. I don’t suppose he expected you to be this unreasonable?”

The wedding date was in August.

Work: “Well, next time you ‘want to get married’, tell the guy to tell us a year before.”

Me: “I quit.”

Three hours later, my manager came in and yelled so that everyone could hear: 

Manager: “Oh, no, girl, you don’t! Have what time you need! YOU STUPID FOOLS, IT’S HER WEDDING!”

I loved that manager. I took two weeks to meet the extended family, and it was no trouble.

Over fifteen years later, we’re married, sharing a mortgage, and raising a kid, who’s turning out very nice. This marriage is literally the best idea ever — literally, not figuratively.

A Lack Of Planning On Your Part…, Part 4

, , , , , | Right | April 23, 2024

A guy comes into the restaurant with about twenty little kids.

Me: “Do we have a reservation for a kid’s party?”

Manager: “We absolutely do not.” *Approaching the customer* “Sir, do you have a reservation?”

Customer: “No, but they’re having a party, and it doesn’t look too busy in here.”

Manager: “We require reservations for such a party as we normally ensure we are staffed adequately for—”

Customer: “We’ll just take these three empty tables here. Put them together for me.”

My manager is nice and gives him the back room.

Manager: “We will do our best, but we are understaffed for this, so be patient.”

The guy starts getting annoyed with us when the service and the food aren’t instant. Unsurprisingly, all the seven-or-so-year-olds start running around as they’re getting bored.

Customer: “This really is taking too long. I think all the kids should get a free dessert for making them wait.”

Manager: “Sir, your failure to plan a venue for a children’s party is not going to become our problem.”

Customer: “Ugh. You’re lucky I’m a nice guy.”

His bill came to around $300. I folded it in half as I gave it to him. He signed it, tipped $20, and wrote, “You deserve less, but I am a nice guy.”

He didn’t realize there was already an 18% tip added because of his group size, but I had folded this part of the receipt over so he hadn’t seen it. Thanks for the extra tip!

Related:
A Lack Of Planning On Your Part…, Part 3
A Lack Of Planning On Your Part…, Part 2
A Lack Of Planning On Your Part…

Minimum Wage, Maximum Moaning

, , , , , , , | Right | April 23, 2024

A lady is using the self-checkout, and after she has bagged everything and paid, she makes sure to tell the self-checkout employee, the service desk employees, and some cashiers:

Customer: *Nice and loud* “Look how I did your jobs for you!”

The employees just ignore this; they have plenty to keep them occupied. For some reason, this makes the customer mad.

Customer: *Even louder* “I did your jobs for you! Just letting you know!”

We just look at her and then continue doing our jobs. After not getting a reaction from the employees, she stands near the exit and starts shouting as loud as she can while pointing at her cart:

Customer: “I did your jobs for you!”

She is now loud enough to bother other customers, so my manager gets involved.

Manager: “Excuse me, ma’am. Are you all right?”

Customer: “Why isn’t it bothering you that you’re making your customers do your jobs for you?”

Manager: “Because you’re not, ma’am. We all have lots to do, even with the assistance of self-checkout.”

Customer: “I want you to acknowledge that I effectively did work for you for free! It’s shameful!”

Manager: “Okay, well, by my estimation, based on the time stamp on your receipt, you were at the self-checkout for eight minutes.”

My manager gets a calculator out on his phone.

Manager: “So… eight minutes at minimum wage comes to a total of… 98 cents. Here, I’m giving you a raise; take a dollar.”

He takes a dollar from his wallet and hands it out to her.

Manager: “A dollar for your hard work. That’s what other cashier operators are getting without kicking up a fuss.”

She just stared at my manager before gasping in annoyance and storming out.