Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The best of our most recent stories!

Getting That “Last Day” Energy

, , , , , , , | Right | May 19, 2024

I’m shopping at a local grocery store. The shortest line leads to a register with a prominent sign at the start of the line: “This register does not accept cash at this time.” I’m planning to pay by card, so I get in this line.

Lo and behold, the customer in front of me tries to pay with cash.

Cashier: “I can’t accept cash at this register.”

Customer: “What the f*** is wrong with you? Why wouldn’t you—”

Cashier: “Can you read English?”

Customer: “Huh?”

Cashier: *Slower* “Can you read English?”

Customer: “Of course I can! The f*** does that—”

Cashier: *Suddenly loud and aggressive* “THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE?!”

I watch in shock as [Cashier] steps away from the till and toward the back of the line, grabbing the sign.

Cashier: “Read this!”

Customer: “Why the—”

Cashier: “READ THIS SIGN! Out loud, right now!”

Customer: “…’This register does not accept cash at this time.'”

Cashier: “Do you know what that means?!”

Customer: “I—”

Cashier: “DO YOU KNOW what that means?!”

Customer: “It… means you can’t pay with cash here.”

Cashier: “Did you read this sign before you got in line?!”

Customer: “…No.

Cashier: “WHY DID YOU NOT READ THE SIGN? If you can read English, you have no reason not to read this sign! Why would you get in line at a till and not read the sign at the start of the line?!”

The customer says nothing more, only picking up their purchases and moving to another line. The cashier puts the sign back and storms back to the till.

Cashier: “This is why I’m leaving this job today!”

Maybe Don’t Let Your Toddlers Screen Your Calls?

, , , , , , | Right | May 19, 2024

I’m a pharmacy tech. One day, we had a customer come through to pick up a prescription that their doctor was supposed to have sent in. We hadn’t received it yet, and they asked if we could give them a call when we got it. I had the fortune of calling. The first time, they just started screaming into the phone and hung up. I assumed it was a kid playing and called back. The same thing happened, so now I was thinking, “What the f***?”

I called a third time and put it on speaker so my coworkers could hear what was happening. This time, it was screaming and then random noises such as raspberries.

I tried a fourth time, thinking maybe if I shouted, “This is **** pharmacy!”, they would hear me.

No luck. So, I placed a note on their prescription that I had tried calling four times and someone kept screaming.

I had the pleasure of answering the phone when they called us. They wanted to know why they hadn’t been called, and I reminded them what exactly they had done when I called. There was silence and then an “Oh”.

I just wish they had come in person, so I could’ve seen their face.

Time Costs Money. Who’da Thunk It?

, , , , , , , , | Working | May 19, 2024

I had a contracting gig with a large financial services company. My little group was part of a much bigger department that generated the annual tax forms. They were incredibly busy from January 2 through April. The guy who ran the department issued an edict that everyone had to put in ten hours each day and work Saturdays if necessary.

Office Manager: “Why do you and your team leave every day at 5:00 pm?”

Me: “Our group has nothing to do with the tax statements. We’re all done by 5:00.”

Office Manager: “The rest of the office is complaining when you’re all seen leaving at 5:00 pm. It would be better if you stayed late, as well.”

Me: “Are you asking or telling?”

Office Manager: “Telling.”

Me: “Does that apply to me and the other contractors?”

Office Manager: “Everyone. No exceptions.”

We were happy to do so since we were being paid by the hour. When we submitted our invoice for January, [Officer Manager] almost wet his pants and decided that the overtime rule didn’t apply to us.

Time To Introduce Granny To The Wide World Of Cell Phones

, , , , , | Right | May 19, 2024

About ten years ago, I worked in a rather popular electronics store. An elderly woman came up to me one day and produced a large cordless phone handset from her purse.

Woman: “This is not working.”

Me: “What do you mean by ‘not working’?”

Woman: “It just goes dead when I try to use it.”

Me: “Okay. Let’s check it out. Do you have the base set? We’ll plug it in here and see what’s happening.”

Woman: *Confused* “I left the base at home. Why would you need it?”

Turns out, she would lift the cordless phone from the base, put it into her handbag, and then head into town, but whenever she would try and use it, it wouldn’t do anything. Naturally — she was miles away from her home (and the base).

I tried to explain to her how these things worked, but she just offered the counter-argument:

Woman: “But I see folks everywhere using their phones on the street!”

Every Town Needs One!

, , , , , , , | Friendly | May 19, 2024

Our town has a cat man. He lives in a trailer and smokes a lot of weed. The cats who can’t take care of their kittens or want some help bring them to him. He feeds them, cares for them, socializes them, and then adopts them out. He is always surrounded by cats and kittens. If you want a kitten, you go to his trailer and ask to adopt one. He doesn’t charge anything; he just talks to you for a bit to make sure you’ll love the animal and take care of it.

He’s surrounded by books and video cassettes and always wears a big housecoat. He’s full of stories and will talk to you about cats, politics, music, movies, games, weed, or whatever it is. The trailer is cold and unlocked with a hole in the front door for the cats to come in and out. He always has them, though. They know to go to him.

I came to him today for a kitten because my foster kid is having a rough time. We are “borrowing” a kitten until he feels better, but I suspect the kitten will stay. We’ve named them Pizza Crust. Gender is unknown. Knowing the gender isn’t the cat man’s job. He is happy to “lend” Pizza Crust to us for as long as we need them. I mean, of course, he was happy to lend a kitten to help a child.

So, yeah, that’s our cat man. He’s the goat.